Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Dear Louie, on your 1st birthday.



Oh Lucy,

You are 1 today.

It's true that in hindsight, time goes by in a flash. In the moment, baby, the truth is, some of the new days with you were l o n g. It took a lot of practice getting used to being a mom of two. You stuck in there with me girl, as I changed and grew. As I learned what it meant to care for two babies now. You were flexible and mostly easy, and I appreciate that you were a go-with-the-flow-kid.

You withstood the pokes and prods of a proud older sister all year. She loved you from the very start. Girlfriend was obsessed with you. I know she still is, although sometimes now that you're all up in her business she can be a little....testy, let's say. But the other day when she proclaimed in the bathtub, "I LOVE being a big sister, I'm the BEST big sister there is!" she meant it. She believes it. You two are a pair, alright.

Which leads me to my favorite moments of all time---the two of you meeting. I'm so glad to have some of these moments in photos and video:



Louie, you have found your voice. You have a will and way, that's for sure. You let us know when you're all done with any activity, and ready to MOVE! ON! NOW! When you're sad you come running with open arms for one of us to hug and hold you and love on you. When you're happy you BEAM. Your entire body smiles. You have the best smiling eyes ever. Everyone comments on what a joy you are.

You have a daring, adventurous spirit that is taking some getting used to on my part. I find you just hanging out, standing on a chair in the middle of the living room. Since 9 months you could fly up 3 flights of stairs faster than I could blink and I'd find you in another part of the house. You do things that scare me. You stand on a step and dangle your foot out as if you're going to leap--then you give me that eye and little smirky-smirk. I fear for our future--I fear the possible ER trips. I don't know what you're gonna be when you grow up, but honey, you have no fear and that scares your momma a little. Go easy on me, k?


Lucy, we're bonded, girl. You love your momma. I've kept you closer and have broken all the 'rules' with you. I think it's a second-kid thing. I just don't care and I know that eventually, you'll be a big kid. So I savor your baby'ness. Truth be told, I've been ready for you to wean now for the last month--but you have no interest. I didn't hit my 1 year breastfeeding goal with Emeline (got close, 11 months!), but we've officially made it, girlfriend. You're a good partner and have been easy from the start in that department. I pray that you'll naturally wean in the next few months. I think as a second kid, you really enjoy that time just us. I get that. So I go with it and feel blessed we've gone this long.

Sweetie pie. I'm just gonna be frank- I wish you'd sleep better. You still kinda suck in that department at night. Too many night-time wakings. You'll have a good few days (good=waking up only 1 time)....then something goes wrong. A tooth. A cold. Whatever. And you're up 3-4x a night. I'm tired, but mostly used to it. The truth is I just suck at hearing you cry. I let you go sometimes, but you have some pipes and I fear the neighbors may think something serious is going wrong--so I get you, we cuddle. See? I'm a rule breaker, and I'm the one who suffers ;) You'll sleep one day, I tell myself.


Oh Lucy. I love seeing you with your Daddy. You two are amazing together. When he comes home from work, you run to the gate and get down on your knees to peek through the railings....whispering, in that raspy voice of yours, Da-Da-Daaaa. When you see him you begin to flail your arms and wave. You're always the first to get a kiss when he gets home. You like to tackle and nuzzle into him. You know he's the one who plays (much better than momma), but he's also good for a shoulder ride to see above the crowd.

Sweetie girl, you are the one who will give me gray hairs out of stress and panic, I know it. But you have also helped unlock another piece of my heart that I never knew needed to be. Thank you for being my second baby girl. We're so blessed to call you ours.

Happiest 1st birthday.

All my love and a million wet smooches,

Momma


***

Had so much fun celebrating her yesterday. A birthday party recap post coming this week, promise.



Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. Happy 1st Birthday Lucy. She is such a doll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this brought tears to my eyes. So much love. She sounds a lot like my youngest, a little daredevil and a terrible sleeper! Happy Birthday, to you both :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Lucy sounds a lot like MY Lucy when it comes to sleep! So maybe it is just a Lucy thing :) Like you I just don't have the heart to let her cry and hope we can wean and magically fix the sleep issues on their own. I love the picture from her birthday, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm over here crying after watching your video! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy first Birthday Lucy!!! That video made me cry. It was so so sweet it also just gave me baby fever and got me thinking about how my one year old would act just meeting a new sibling and then I cried even harder. Lol. You have beautiful little girls and I love following your blog and IG and seeing them grow up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh she is just precious! I fear trips to the ER too...my little girl is a hurricane!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh she is just precious! I fear trips to the ER too...my little girl is a hurricane!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Giiiirrrrl, you had me crying with that video. It's the sweetest thing I've watched. I love how relaxed you were, it's refreshing to see a mom so chill. When Em was touching Lucy on the head, instead of doing what any mom I know would have done and freaked you just calmly said, "be nice". I really hope I'm that kind of mom when I have children of my own someday. Happy 1st Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this sweet girl! Happy birthday Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love. Happy birthday Lucy! What a wonderful letter to your baby. I adore her big wild personality and it shows in your beautiful photos. (Also, Mac still doesn't sleep either, so I feel your pain.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your 'baby'!

    She reminds me SO much of my E as a baby...and even now. Those 2nd kids are the crazy ones. No fear. And you are right, the ones that will give us gray hair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. happiest of birthdays sweet girl!!! you are obviously such a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just so sweet. what a great keepsake for her. and i love that you call her louie. i think it's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet! Happy birthday to your beautiful little girl!
    My 2 owls

    ReplyDelete
  15. That movie was precious, brought a tear to my eye when she started to cry! Happy Birthday Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is gorgeous. Happy birthday!!
    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  17. That video makes me cry every time. The expression on E's face is just amazing. They will both love having that keepsake from that day! What a little lady you have in both of them. Happy birthday, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seeing her smile pop up on my instagram feed really does brighten my day. She just seems like such a happy girl. :) Happy Birthday Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a hard time believing she is one already! Hope her birthday was amazing!

    ReplyDelete