Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

de-light.

Ever have a word that just sticks with you, haunting you almost, because you know it's something you need to work on, to be mindful about, to live a happier, fuller life?

Maybe I'm just being all deep, but on Sunday, a particular word hit me over the head like a 10lb brick. It might seem silly, but the word is Delight. Delight: to take pleasure in. A high degree of enjoyment. 

But I'll get back to that.

***

Emeline and I were playing hello kitty puzzles at the kitchen island yesterday after nap. I had tried to convince her it was something we should do during her Big Girl Time (once Lucy was in bed), since she would certainly be all over us, stealing puzzle pieces galore--but Em insisted we do it right.then. In fact, she insisted so much so that she even made Lucy a pile of "baby toys" so she would mind her business (didn't work, but good effort, kid).

It's a 4-pack. Can you imagine? 4 puzzles of Hello Kitty goodness. I went through all the puzzle logistics to try and get her to the place where she can start doing these on her own more. They're the harder ones. So we began each puzzle by finding the straight edges and completing the outline first, as a guide. After I coached her through how to find the matching pieces, "oh look, this has yellow polka dots, can you find a piece with yellow polka dots to match?"-kinda thing. Then she'd complete the puzzle, feeling all accomplished.

We'd rip it up within minutes, maybe seconds, and then begin the next puzzle. Wham, bam, onto the next.

We were just about finished the 3rd puzzle. Each time she was getting more and more independent of me. So much so that I began to do little bits of dinner prep here and there, amidst the occasional, "look for the other half of the yellow bow" verbal instruction.

When she finished, she gasped with excitement and shrieked I DID IT with victory fists in the air. She was pumped. I praised her. Then without even really realizing it, quickly said, Alright let's break it up and do the last one! 

She stopped me, put her hands guarding her puzzle and said, "But I just wanna take time to look at it, mom....

....look at this bootiful puzzle I did! The flowers are so pretty. Is that snail green? Yes, he's green. There's a yellow snail. And red. And blue. That's so silly. I did it all by myself, it's so bootiful, mom!" 

As she's pouring over her puzzle she's clearly very proud about, I got smacked over the head again by that word.

Delight.

She just wanted to take a few minutes to delight in her puzzle, the one she took time to accomplish. She didn't want to rush onto the next--she wanted to stop and take pleasure and enjoyment in her work.

(awful iphone photo, ahhh well.)

It reminded me of Sunday, when we talked about how God did this after the massive work of creation, when it says he looked over all he created, delighted in it, and proclaimed that "It was very good" (gen. 1:31). 

I felt a little convicted. Why don't I delight more? It's okay to look back on things you've done, accomplishments, to stop and delight in them. It's okay to lose yourself in time and silliness with your kids and family, to rest and find pleasure in things. I started considering tattoo'ing this word on my arm as a reminder, because, seriously.

But here I was, being challenged by my 3 year old (she had no idea) that I need to just stop and enjoy, to delight in things, to lose myself in a moment and stop worrying about on to the next thing. I know it in my head, I don't see myself necessarily as someone who can't enjoy myself or my kids, but yet I know that often I do feel too busy or too occupied by work or other to-do's.

It's a new challenge for myself. I cannot get this word out of my head and my heart and I know it's for good reason.

I'm gonna delight more today.

***

Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! My daughter is only 2.5 and she is just starting to do this more. It makes me realize to take in those special moments, whether big or small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post!

    FWIW, Pressman Toy has other Hello Kitty puzzles - 100pc in a box, lunchbox, and even a 48pc approx 3ft Hello Kitty. (shameless plug for the company I work for.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really needed to hear this today. I have a 2 month old and 2 year old, and spend most of my days just trying to get by instead of enjoying and delighting in the precious moments that won't last for very long. Thank you for your words. They touch so many people. Now I'm going to go delight in my babies today and look for the delight in their eyes and accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great reminder! I really needed to read this today! :)

    THank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of the verse, "Delight yourself also in The Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

    If only we would always feel "delighted" in The Lord as He longs for us to be! We could take a lesson from Emeline. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The I did it reminded me so much of my Chase. He can barely help you with something and he says, I did it! With such joy and pride. I need to capture it on video because its so cute. Part of me thought to myself maybe we did something wrong that he is so proud of himself for velcroing one shoe but another part of me just loves it and I'm sure his pride and joy will be taken away at some point by someone else. I think you delight. When you take those amazing pictures of the simplest moment in time that's delighting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post. I think we all need to remember to enjoy our accomplishments and not rush onto the next 'to do'. Good lesson for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, what a beautiful message. Love this post!
    My 2 owls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I love when we learn from our kids and they don't even know how much they are really impacting us on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. Psalm 37:4 is my "life verse", and as soon as I saw this blog title, it came to my mind. Such a great reminder. Noah likes to do the same thing with puzzles... we put his tougher jigsaw Thomas puzzles together, and he'll just sit and study them once we're done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are awesome and I love Eme and all of this. :)

    xoxo.

    P.S. - I know of an app that you could "try out" the Delight tattoo on your arm. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete