Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

sister, sister.

From the moment I laid in that ultrasound room and found out Lucy was a girl, I had dreams of sisters prancing around my living room in dress up clothes. Of pulling each other along in the wagons around the block. Of "sleepovers" that weren't really sleepovers at all, just sisters sharing a room and loving it in the process.


I know, I know--of course it was all the happy-go-lucky stuff I dreamed of. But having had a sister 2 1/2 years older than me, I know exactly what it's like. And I mostly LOVED it and still love it. And obviously wish that same bond for my girls. 

I can say that one of the best moments in my life was when Emeline met Lucy. I know you all remember that, since I shared a video that makes even the hardest heart cry (come onnnn).

The truth is, many days are filled with hair pulling, screams of "she stole my _____", and pushing and shoving. There are constantly shrieks and shrills when someone-did-something to the other one. It is not all perfect, all the time. There is constant redirection from me, sometimes, just letting them work it out on their own, timeouts for doing x,y, and z to sister, and removing sticky fingers from mangled, bed-head.


But despite all that, as they're growing older I can already see their sweet sister bond forming. When I'm not 'paying attention' (or they don't think I am), they're off in the corner quietly playing minnie-dress-up together. Emeline's practicing her doctor skills on Louie. Or they're pushing one another around the house in the shopping cart. Taking turns and being all sweet.

When Emeline sees Lucy in the morning and squeezes her proclaiming, "you're my bestest sister in da whole wide world! you're the cutest, louie girl!" I actually feel her love. When Lucy's eyes light up and she claps when Em comes down the steps from naptime. I see that she adores her big sis.

Everything about parenting is an ebb & flow. One moment things are up, then they're down. The second you feel up to your eyeballs in time-out's and directing "I'm sorry's" and "I forgive you's", the next second they're loving one another so well my heart could pop because it's exactly what I always pictured.


Exactly. this.



16 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this. I always wanted a sister. Instead I have 3 younger brothers that I got to boss around and do all my dirty work, so that's not bad either. :) Love their little outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cuteness!!! These pictures make my heart melt! And take me back to the days where my sister and I would play dress up or Barbies :) The bond of sisters is something so special and you can see with Emeline and Lucy they have that bond... they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I imagined for my girls. xo

      Delete
  3. I have older twin brothers and always prayed for a sister. Never happened. I thank God every day for the SILs he brought into our family though!! :( I want more than anything to give my little girl a sister. But right now I'm knee deep with a 3 month old a d a 2.5 year old-so it's gonna be a minute haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sweet, sweet girls!! They have such a great bond, and they are both so full of love!

    Being an older sister, by 3 years, I can totally relate to this, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was SO excited when I found out #2 was a boy to go along with boy #1. I so badly wanted that bond for my oldest and I am seeing so much more of it these days. I never had that growing up and I am totally living through them! Your girls are as cute as always. Dying over the leotards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet! I have 2 brothers, one older, one younger and we're really not that close. I really hope I can raise my children to be close and loving like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are precious! My sisters are nowhere close in age to me...and that's sad! But I'm sure it is amazing (and, of course, terrible at times!) to have a sis so close. I can't believe how grown up Lucy girl is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! My daughter always loved her little sister since she was born, but now little sissy is at the age where she throws tantrums and wants every toy her big sister has! Luckily, big sis thinks it's funny. :) I love having 2 girls and hope they will always love each other! I'd love to see a video of them the way you described how the feel about each other- pure sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK these pics are just too sweet! I'm melting over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And then I just died of cute over load from these pictures. Oh well, it's a good way to go... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet!!! They are too adorable in their little leotards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have shared a room with my younger (17 almost 18) "step"sister ever since our parents got married almost twelve years ago. Sure, there have been a fight here or there, but mostly, it was our parents yelling from their room(or a text message now!) to QUIET DOWN AND GO TO SLEEP MEGHAN AND MADY! We may drive each other nuts but we are each others best friend. Sisters for life & best friends forever is what wwe say to describe ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sooooo cute! I have two sisters and we are very close like you and Susan. My husband is one of three boys and they just aren't that close. Now I have two boys and I really hope that they have a close bond (though I know sister bonds are way different than brother bonds).

    ReplyDelete