Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

happy happy happy happy

I got bit by the happy bug today and I am loving life and things are lovely and good right now so I have the desire to write, write, wriiiiite.

I know, I'm heinously annoying. Especially if you're having a bad day. Trust me, I get it.

If you want me to be completely honest---I will. I'm usually the unhappy one. Ick. I hate admitting that out loud, I really do. It sucks when I know the purpose of my blog to glean out the happy things, which is maybe why I haven't written that much because I have felt, generally, kind of icky inside. No, not my physical being, that feels great. But my mental, emotional state. I guess you could say--it's not been awesome (sorry Declan). I'm not even fully sure why.

I've been snappy and mean and really freaking irritated with the attitude that comes with age 3. I've been short with my husband (A LOT), and I've been on edge and a little bit anxious, about random things or nothing at all. I used to be someone who could roll with the punches, prided myself on fun, last minute life-living, but that just hasn't been me lately. I think I got so far away from some of the way I used to love life, that I almost forgot it. I know, it sounds  stupid and much too deep, and that's ok.

I don't feel bad about myself admitting this. Admitting that I've just not been nice, not had a good attitude about life in general, or that I've just felt kinda of--meh, for no apparent reason. Because I know it's probably actually less normal to feel SPUNKY!HAPPY!ALL!THE!TIME! That's just not been me. I guess there's just something to saying it out loud that is maybe helpful? I don't know. I would hate to perpetuate some life-is-perfect-all-the-time mentality when that's just not true.

The thing is. Today has been good for me, in the simplest ways, today has been fulfilling. And yet--it's not even been that abnormal from other days. How weird is that?

Maybe a switch went off. Maybe things just happened to line up in my favor today. Maybe God was smiling down on me. Or maybe I just trusted Him more today. I HAVE NO IDEA. But I really, really like today.

A few miles of trail-walking with my sister and my babies today instead of the gym? I loved it. I forget how much nature feeds my heart and mind and makes me feel whole. I know, I know, getting deep again. But it's TRUE. I feel like a different person when I'm out there, breathing in the air, and with some of my favorite company, ever.
















And also, I'm giving myself a dang break. These are unedited (gasp) iPhone pictures, un-watermarked (if you steal my pictures I will HUNT YOU DOWN). I just don't care! wee! live life!

Sometimes? When my 3 year old isn't acting like a crazed preschooler, I'm reminded how AMAZING and SWEET she is. She is truly a gem. Such a lover.

After our walk, we took it easy. We watched the park rangers and tree-cutter-down-people (sorry charlie, no idea the real name) take some tree's down along the trail. My girls watched in amazement as it turned into mulch in that big machine.

We went along our day, and decided it'd be a great day to visit Daddy at work. We have this special spot, this park right near his office. We get chick-fil-a and we have a picnic in the gazebo, then the girls play. We catch up a little bit about our day. It's nice. 

Chick-fil-a messed up on my salad order, and then gave me ANOTHER one (and let me keep both!!) I got free lunch for my hubby, that was rad. 

I LOVE THEM TOGETHER and this alone makes my heart beam. Absolutely beam. (Picture heart emoticon here with the beamy-vibration things coming from it. You know the one.)


He was all, "I want Starbucks", and I was all, "I need to go to Target"--and I was all, LIGHTBULB, "Hey you should just stay half hour late tonight and come to Target with us"---and he did. In the middle of his workday. And we got coffee and what we needed quickly, and the girls were behaved, and before we knew it we were out the door with our goodies, a tired, but still sweet 15 month old, and a 3 year old noshing on a bag of popcorn (typical).

And you know what???

I came home--and IT WAS NAP TIME. Glorious NAP TIME! (picture the praise hands emoticon with the shiny rays in between it here. You know the one.)

I thought, ahhh crap. Someone is bound to fight nap today. But no. I refused to be negative.

Both of them went down. Quietly. Without a fight, at all. I smiled.

Then I dyed my hair. I DYED MY HAIR. Then I even had time for a shower and a blow-dry. To pick out our clothes for our family photoshoot this weeked. To get dressed. TO EAT A SNACK! To drink that coffee I got at Starbucks. 


AND OH YEA!!!!!!

To see that my sister's BIG FREAKING NEWS (!!!!!!!!) IS FINALLY FACEBOOK/SOCIAL MEDIA OFFICIAL!!!!!


I mean-- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What else can I say about that?

Oh. If today couldn't get any better, I also have a girls night out with a friend. Where we will go to dinner. Without our kids. We will chat. We will dress pretty. We will eat our meal hot without entertaining anyone. It will be freaking glorious. Can I get a hallelujah, amen?

I LOVE TODAY. Praise hands, baby.

Follow on Bloglovin

24 comments:

  1. He he...I love your use of the emoticons without actually using the emoticons! :) Crazy how I know exactly which one you are talking about!! Glad things are happy over there...so excited about your sisters news & glad you guys got a fun day date/visit with daddy in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty. I love that you had this wonderful day. I've too been feeling "off..yucky...snappy etc." Sometimes with the way social media portrays all rainbows and sunshine it makes me feel like I'm the only one that ever feels like this. (I get it, I'm obviously not going to put a cute little video of me yelling at my husband on IG)
    I am so thrilled for your sister, I've been hoping I would see an announcement like this for her! Congrats Aunt Katie! I hope your weekend is just as great as today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got but by a bee.. Omg!!!
    U must treat it before it gets serious.
    Don't forget to join my sunglasses giveaway.
    http://www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com/2013/10/mignon-mignon-sunglasses-giveaway.html?m=0
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day sounds absolutely amazing! I hope you have a wonderful dinner tonight with your friend. I have that blah feeling about life most days and don't feel embarrassed to admit a most often the unhappy one. I loved this post, your pictures are beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear what a great day it's been. Those days are rare, but when they come it's a huge refresher to regular life.

    I am SO excited for your sister and her hubby!!!!!

    Hugs girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your sister! That's awesome sauce. Nothing better than your sis being pregnant:) all the ohh and ahhs without feeling the sickness and aches and pains and lots of newborn love without the sleepless nights! Glad today was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have been in a funk lately. I need to see the good in life and let the bad slide away. Thanks for the reminder. Congrats to your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! That does sound like a wonderful day!!! :) :)

    I saw your sister's news on FB. So happy for her! And love the pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say.... I'm glad you prefaced this post with the feelings of mehh. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who feels like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honestly, it's kind of refreshing to hear a honest post where everything isn't perfect and honky dory. I like to read "real" blogs where it isn't just ootd's and surface stuff. So thanks for sharing and being honest.

    I think that's why I haven't been able to write at all-all I can seem to want to say is "this mom of 2 thing is kicking my ass and my (almost) threenager, though I love her dearly, is making me crazy!! But it's just a season....right?!?

    Regardless; you look gorgeous, the girls are adorable and CONGRATULATIONS to your sister!! I'm so happy for her!!! And yay for aunties ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you and your honest heart, Katie Balla. That is all. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO excited for your sister!!! What is her blog address again? I want to follow the pregnancy (like a stalker). Haha! So glad you had one of those feel-good days!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for being honest! It's ok to not always have it all together but it's important to cherish and enjoy the seemingly perfect days you do have! We are all a work in progress

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katie! What was in your coffee?! Hahahaha. You are hilarious. :) I love that you are so happy today. I am way too snappy and short with my husband, and when he's gone and the boys are in bed? I feel guilty and sad that I am that way. Then, I wake up, and I'm annoyed by this and that and...I won't ramble. But we all feel that way -- and so, the happy days are extra happy. The simplest things make life so sweet! :) Have a great weekend. Love your sista's news!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving your happy bug.
    Also your family is super adorable and I can't even handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your honesty! I too have been in the same funk lately, and also have a crazed 2.5 year old who has been a little crazier than normal lately. I related to every word you said :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your honestly. I have also been in a funk and could relate to everything you wrote :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a great day. Those are the best! Starbucks and nap? I'm sold.

    Did you recently stop nursing? It affected my mood big time. I am back to myself now but it took almost two months. A rough period for sure.

    ~~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. guys that cut down trees are called tree-fellers, i believe. and i just *knew* when i read the title of this blog post that your sister was expecting again. that is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. guys that cut down trees are called tree-fellers, i believe. and i just *knew* when i read the title of this blog post that your sister was expecting again. that's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful day! and yay on Susan's news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this post and adore all the pictures.. Your hubby and the girls so stinken cute!! :) Glad you had a wonderful happy day! hope many many more are to come!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can feel the happy radiating from you and I can SEE It too, in these pics. Congrats to your sister and to you, Auntie!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay for your sister! I love the announcement. I am curious what your sister does for a living because as I have read your blog I have noticed she seems to have a flexible schedule to hangout with your and your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete