Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

ohmygosh, shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Do you hear that?

Me neither.

It's silence. Like, beautiful, amazing shhhhhhhhhhh, still as still can be, silence. Oh, with the exception of the rain hitting the side of the house, which actually is quite soothing and peaceful. A cup of coffee. Promptly jumped into sweatpants after getting home from the gym. Girls asleep. ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I never understood the term Silence is Golden until I became a parent. Like, deep-into-parenting is when I'm all OH. YEA. Silence IS golden. Unfortunately, often times I find myself so up to my eyeballs stressed while parenting. The stressful moments always surround the Most Chaotic Moments though. You know the ones. Moments surrounding mealtimes, especially when kids are hungry, shrieking, everyone has a different need-sometimes I swear I could use four more arms, but really-they need to be long and stretchy like Gumby or they aren't really doing anything other than getting in the way. Or bedtime. WHY THE HECK IS BEDTIME ALWAYS SO HARD? The whole shebang. The bath time, the teeth brushing, the getting into jammies and OH TRY AND CATCH ME, MOM game is being played. It all seems to come with a fight these days.

One kid escapes the tub, sloppy wet and running through the halls while trying to catch Mac like he's a greased pig in a farm town fair, while the other one gets soap in her eyes, is fa-reaking out, and already telling us that SHE DOES NOT WANT TO GO TO HER BED, because, I'M NOT SLEEPY YETTTTTT. 

In those moments? I usually tell my husband, NO MORE KIDS! We will not have a 3rd. That's it. Case closed. 

Don't bring it up again.

UTERUS IS SHUT DOWN, BUDDY.

Because, I literally cannot imagine more chaos.

(no I'm not dramatic)

(ok fine I am)

(but ohmygosh)

So yes.

Silence?

It truly is golden. I actually crave it. My body craves silence in a way I never knew existed before and I don't care how stupid it sounds. Even when I'm out, on rare occasion, alone. I'll often opt to not listen to any music in the car at all. Because. Whoa. What's that? I can hear myself thinking. Oh, wow, there's actually good stuff up there going on. I should pay attention to that more often.

It's the same feeling when I tip-toe out of Lucy's room, turn her door-knob slowly, after getting her down for a nap just minutes after Emeline and I go to my room, and I sit.

(source)

Just sit there. For even a few minutes. And breathe.

I realize I may sound like a lunatic, especially to non-parents. But silence is my mom-medicine.

I'm telling you, silence is good for my soul.

....




Follow on Bloglovin

25 comments:

  1. I am constantly begging my husband to just turn the tv off on the weekends. Seriously I can't take anymore noise. Maybe music...but I really enjoy just hearing my thoughts or nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm believe in silence. Time sitting staring at a wall. No phone. No computer. No inputs. It happens too rarely, but when it does? Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not a lunatic, nor are you alone. My morning commute is often made in complete silence because I can. No one is demanding anything from me and no one is fighting. It.Is.Glorious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you! The constant "I wants" from my kid have me begging for nap time some days. I love peaceful nap time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post I could've written. Thanks momma for the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy silence...
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man. Yes, silence is beautiful. I definitely need to not take it for granted in my pre-kids days! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg i totally feel the same way...even with just ONE one year old! Meal time till bed time is straight up CHAOS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even as a non-parent, I love silence too. My most enjoyable time is when I'm home, alone, with a cup of coffee, working on blogging, with rain pitter-pattering outside... ahh... sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you got to enjoy some silence today! I think you and Declan deserve a few days away soon together. We did that a few months ago and it was amazing spending 3 days only getting myself ready, only feeding myself, and answering no questions. Ahhhh. Refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silence during nap time = sanity as a momma you need those moments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silence after nap time = sanity you need those moments as a momma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha oh it's so true. When I have rare moments at home alone or in the car, I try to make myself watch/listen to something other than Curious George... but I can't. I turn it all off, bc omg the silence. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought I was the only one who likes the radio OFF sometimes!! Ahhh, silence is SO golden...and I only have one child...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exactly why I stay up late every night. I work all day in a constantly talking work environment, then I come home to 2 kids and a husband...after the kids are in bed I don't ever turn the TV on anymore. I just want quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yesterday, Lo went across the street to his buddy's house, and Gray fell asleep at 5 pm. I knew I should wake him up but dude. The silence. I just had to soak it in for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's that? You're planning for a summer 2014 baby?

    Teehee.

    Silence is beautiful (as I just turned the TV off), and more and more, I find myself doing what Laura said up there ^ and telling my hubby to turn the TV off because AHHH, the noise.

    In other words, I can relate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. now i've got depeche mode's enjoy the silence ripping through my head (yes i'm old)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man, it's like you are living in my house! I can resonate with EVERY word you wrote today! I know exactly what you are feeling! There are days that I would love to have a third, adorable kid and other days when I can't even imagine how we would do it! Most nights I ride home from school with the radio off, noise at school right to noise at home can make this momma go crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how I crave these moments! I swear I just told Jimmy the other day that I might take a night a week for a couple of hours and just go sit somewhere like a coffee shop and just be quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amen. Glad to know I'm not the only one that drives in silence (the few times I have no kids in the car with me). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Silence? What's that? LOL No, seriously....in the car with no radio is my favorite place to be sometimes. It's amazing how relaxed I get and how the wheels in my brain tend to slow down when there is complete and utter silence. It truly IS golden.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm enjoying the silence and naps while I can before the babes comes along. Get it while I can.

    ReplyDelete