Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Questions you've asked me about MY Paleo Experience

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This is me moaning and groaning.

I have little desire to write about Paleo/health/food stuff because I am not an expert and I feel like I'm being lumped in as being 'trendy'. I don't care about that stuff, which is why I'd rather shut up about it but obviously that's not working too well. I feel like the questions on instagram (mainly) are growing and while I haven't been living this lifestyle for super long, I have learned a thing or two in the past 5'ish weeks so I guess I have something to say.

Mainly, I feel like shouting, Stop!! yes. Just stop. Stop over-thinking it. (But the truth is, I probably over thought it at first, too) If you truly have a desire to eat this way (or even just cleaner, rather), you CAN. And you know what? It doesn't have to be that hard either. I promise. I am busy. We are so super busy all the time and I have little people who dictate my life. I'm heavily involved in my church, a kid in preschool, a kid in dance, big families who want to see us, lots of social outings, we're part of bible studies, and small groups, and I work from home, it can be done. So I'll break a lot down for you.

My husband, who works at an office, away from home and has zero problem eating this way, either. It just takes a tad bit of extra effort. Just a tad. Don't write me off yet.

***

Let's start at the first question I keep hearing.

I'd love to eat paleo, but WHAT WILL I EAT?

Do you think I don't eat? 'Cuz guys (girls). I love food. I LOVE FOOD. I would never, ever be on board with something that made me feel like I couldn't eat. Because I want to eat. I like it. I enjoy it. I want to be healthy. In fact, I've never eaten better.

Here's what you can eat: Meats, Fish, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts (like almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, cashews). Cook with: EVOO & Coconut oil. Natural sweeteners like maple syrup and raw honey are good in moderation. Coconut milk or almond milk as milk substitutes are a-ok. Use all the yummy seasonings for your food! Cumin! Cinnamon! Red pepper! Sea Salt! Pepper! (to name a few out of a billion endless options!)

It may not look like it, but trust me, that is a lot of food :) A lot of good, unprocessed, delicious food if you ask me. The problem is, most of us just picture gnawing on a carrot and being bored to tears. You gotta get creative. I'll get back to that.

What foods do we avoid: Dairy, wheat, grains (so no breads, starches, etc), no white potatoes, no corn products or corn itself, no legumes (no beans, no peanuts), no soy products, no refined sugars (!!!!!), none of the processed crap from a box. (if you have questions about "why no corn!?", google it! Tons of good answers about everything you have questions to with good old google, trust me, I did this in the beginning all.the.time when I had a question), artificial sweeteners are a no-no.

The gist: Get back to basics-eating.

YES, ideally everything in your Paleo lifestyle would be "grass-fed", "organic", "cage-free", etc. BUT. You have to do what works for your family budget. And start small. Some change is better than none. So at first I was way overwhelmed by this and immediately wrote it off because I knew it would skyrocket our budget out of control. But in talking with a few friends who have lived and fed their family in this way, they both confirmed that you do what you can. You can still see health benefits even if not every piece of meat and produce is organic, grass-fed, etc, etc. Basically, my thoughts are, don't use this aspect of it as an excuse or a worry if you truly are interested in giving Paleo a whirl.

Onto budget....

***

HOW DO YOU AFFORD TO EAT LIKE THIS?

I hear this all the time. It sucks that the truth is, eating healthy is generally more expensive. I wish it didn't have to be this way, in fact, it freaking bugs me that our country makes it this way. However, our food budget has not changed that much from what it was before, here's why.

We eat out less. We are buying less dairy, very little cheeses (I still buy some for the girls), less snacky-type stuff lives in our home, no boxes of pastas or rices, or jars of spaghetti sauce, etc.

The money we save from the stuff we are not eating goes to the stuff we DO consume lots. Produce, mainly.

So the truth is, other than our first, initial grocery trip---we have stayed mostly on budget with our weekly dollar amount for groceries. The reason the initial trip can be so expensive is because you're getting some of those new essentials that you may or may not have had before. Coconut oil to cook with, almond butter in lieu of peanut butter, pure maple syrup instead of the fake junk, or coconut or almond flour, etc. You see? But after that, it truly levels off to a very reasonable and affordable way to eat.

Don't let the sticker shock of perhaps, that first week, deter you overall. We have found it definitely levels out. And heck, you can always start with small changes first rather than full-blown, if need-be.

***

How do you prepare? I could never do this, I'm not home enough. I don't want to feel hungry. Can you grocery shop for me? blah blah.

You guys are talking to the QUEEN of hating to meal-plan. For those of you who like to meal plan, then this will come easier for you. It didn't come easy to me. But the truth is, my husband just makes sure it happens before one of us grocery shops for the week. It's as easy as a $1 board from Target on our fridge.

yes my fridge is a mess. it's cool.

Sometimes I don't even fill it fully in, as you can see, but I try. Also I get lazy about sides, but I do make them.

We have a few random dinners that we've been liking on 'rotation', and then I try something new here and there. We are OK with being boring. Not everyone is. I just hate recipes (I have issues), so I prefer to just do simple, easy things (I'll get back to this).

As far as preparing, yes, there is some preparation. BUT it's not bad and makes the entire week wayyyyyy, wayyyyy easier. For example, Declan is the one who works at an office and has to pack his lunch everyday. He makes a bunch of mini-burger type things on Sunday (it takes him about 20 min-half hour), and also some almond flour crusted chicken strips. He packs them up into serving sizes that make it simple and easy to just grab and go. Add in his sides of almonds/cashews or apple slices, etc and he's set to go. So yes, it does take planning and some pre-planning especially for easy lunches throughout the week. But an hour on a weekend will go a long way in this department. I often will have Declan (or I will) grill chicken for the week for me to add to salads, or eat alone at lunches, for myself. Just re-heat quickly and we're good!

We also prep some easy-breakfasts, too, for the days I don't feel like making legit eggs or don't have the time, etc. More on this later.

Grocery shopping? Well, guys. I hate to say it (no I don't)--but it's way easier to grocery shop now than it was before. Basically, you stay in the produce aisle, meats, and occasionally the frozen food section for some veggies (yepppp, sometimes I use frozen stuff, not always), and frozen fruits for smoothies. It's actually a quick, quick trip for me weekly and I'm kind of proud of how awesome the cart looks at the end :) You cut out all those middle, in-between aisles (mostly) and so I don't find myself just perusing and throwing random stuff in the cart. It's all intentional.

***

What do YOU eat? Like, specifically.

Breakfast: I could eat Eggs  & bacon every day, to be honest. But I don't always have the time to make eggs. IF I do have time, I like them in a million ways. Fried. Over easy. Scrambled (no cheese, obviously). Declan likes them scrambled with meat (turkey, bacon, chicken, even), but that's more of a weekend thing when we have time. I also could do smoothies (my go to is: almond milk, handful of spinach, banana, frozen strawberries, blueberries--blend. Sorry, no recipe. You guys know I suck at that). Another thing Declan preps ahead of time every weekend are these delicious egg 'muffins'. He takes enough to work for one for him every morning, and then he leaves the rest with us. Lucy loves them, and so do I when I'm in a rush. 30 seconds in the microwave with a side of cantaloupe, or any other fruit, and you're golden. There are lots of different variations of things like this, so get your google search on (or pinterest!).

Breakfast does not have to be hard, guys. 




Lunch: Honestly. I am easy, easy, easy when it comes to lunch. I don't require fancy. If we have grilled chicken in the fridge I will simply reheat a piece or two of that, eat it alone, with salad, with some cooked up veggies real quick, etc. Also, I'm not a sweet potato snob. I will microwave-cook one, easy. I find it filling and delicious (I may be weird). When it's tomato season and friends and family have plenty and give them to us, I seriously LOVE, love eating a fresh tomato & avocado with chicken or something like that. I've also made tuna fish (mixed with avocado) on lettuce wraps. I eat leftovers of this soup when I make it for dinner previous days. Trust me, I eat. I am just not super picky when it comes to lunch foods I've found.

Declan eats the chicken fingers I mentioned above & mini burgers (made from beef) that are pretty self explanatory. He sorta alternates, but he is a creature of habit and so he likes and doesn't mind repetitive food. He's more of the "eat for need, not for fun" type. (pfffftttttt)


 

Dinner: Dinner is the easiest, probably. I keep hearing, "I would have no idea what to make for dinner" and I'm all, HUH? Because dinners have not been that much different for us, honestly. We eat a combination of these things: Grilled Chicken, Chicken Drumsticks, Salmon, Shrimp, Pork loin, Pork chops, Steaks, Crock pot soup recipes, Taco Salad, Cobb Salad, Cauliflower Mashed, Sweet potato fries, Sweet potato mash, Broccoli, Green beans, side salads, zuchinni, Bunless Burgers, etc.

Instead of thinking "Protein, Starch, Veggie", we just think "protein, veggie, veggie". Things like casseroles, etc, have never really been a way we eat, so it wasn't a big adjustment. Do I miss spaghetti night? Yea, a little bit. But there are still lots of ways I can explore doing this paleo-friendly using spaghetti squash or even making meatballs and spaghetti sauce.


Paleo-Baking: Many people don't do paleo baking because the truth is, you don't want to take all the normal stuff you used to eat (pancakes, cookies, etc) and just go and make all paleo-friendly versions of everything and basically eat like you used to. You get what I'm saying? Fresh, fresh, fresh, whole foods are the ideal. HOWEVER. We have found that in moderation, it's been okay to bake here and there. For instance, my favorite muffins when I have some browner bananas sitting around are these (I add walnuts). She also has another pumpkin-carrot one on her blog that I've liked, too. They make an easy addition to a quick-breakfast. Again, not everyday--but sometimes we've had no issues with. We have also done cookies, and we pretty much just google around for a new recipe every time and while they're not the ooey gooey cookie you're used to, they actually can and do fulfill that craving IF NEED BE.

Drinks: I have cut diet-soda cold turkey 5'ish weeks ago. I think I do sometimes miss it, but I don't dream about it, nor do I have a strong urge to get one at the drive-thru. I've been completely happy with water and coffee. Coffee is not technically Paleo. Neither is the coconut milk creamer I use. BUT-coffee was not something Declan, nor I were willing to part with. Therefore, it's an exception. In fact, Declan still drinks his with the same creamer he loves because it was something he didn't want to change, and I think that's totally ok.

So let's talk about exceptions.

In the beginning of this, in talking with some Paleo-friends, they told me to set my standards now and stick to them. So, if you feel like you need to have a beer on the weekends? FINE. If you feel like you still need your one cup of coffee with your favorite creamer? FINE. If you feel like you cannot deny yourself your one special Starbucks Latte a week when cruising Target? FINE.

(Obviously you cannot make exceptions for everryyyything or that would defeat the purpose, but you get it!)

Snacks: At night, we tend to snack on fruit. Honestly, you have no idea--sometimes I truly look forward to an apple dipped in almond butter, or a whole bunch of watermelon. My favorite snack to keep on hand is a nut mix (my friend Jess told me about). 1 lb sliced almonds, 1 lb halved cashews, 1/4 lb sunflower seeds, 1/4 lb pumpkin seeds (I prefer mine without), mixed with 2T coconut oil, and 1T vanilla, mix and then spread on a baking sheet at 300 for 20'ish minutes. Keep sealed and it's good for a handful of snacks here and there OR I love to sprinkle on top of cut up strawberries & bananas with cinnamon. Like, this is my favorite naptime snack. (Thanks again for that, Jess ;)) You can also spread almond butter on celery sticks. You can make sweet potato chips. Plantain chips. I have also made "pineapple ice cream". AKA: 1 Cup+frozen pineapples and 1 cup unsweeteened vanilla almond milk in the food processor, plus a dab of honey=yum.

At work, Declan snacks on cashews, apples, carrot sticks, etc.


It might sound boring, but honestly, once you start fueling your body at all your other meals with such good food, you may find you aren't that hungry when it comes to snacking, anyway.

***

What are the benefits?

Okay. So we originally went down this track because we are health-conscious people. Well, we've become more health conscious I would say. My husband has a strong desire to maintain/stay ahead of health as much as he can. I feel the same way, and I take pride now in my body and living in a healthy way. It feels good. It feels good to FEEL good, actually. So we were all, "okay we'll try this"--plus I knew it would help make my workouts a little more visible (ie: lower my % body fat, lean me out a little), and I was cool with that.

It turns out, it meshed pretty nicely with our lifestyle and so we really like it. Within a few days of starting to clean up our eating I noticed my face that was previously all broken out had cleared up. Bloat in my gut went down within days. Bloat that I didn't even REALIZE was there until you look at before and after's and are all, WHOA.

(the thought of this being pinned on pinterest LITERALLY makes me sweat and shake. DO NOT PIN THIS OR I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN. please. I beg of you.)

The health benefits are insane though...and this is one of my favorite articles that really explains them well. Mental health, gut health, more energy, just to name a few.

The first week you change your lifestyle in this way you can actually feel like crap. Don't let that deter you from keep on keepin' on, because your body is just doing what it's supposed to do. It's learning to start burning protein and good fats versus carbs and sugar which it was used to. Sometimes you can get a little headache'y and feel icky--but the feeling does pass, I swear.

***

Do you ever cheat?

Yes.

Obviously in moderation, but we do here and there. Usually about once or so on the weekend. Declan still enjoys his beer when watching football. Last weekend, we went to the fair with our kids and after a week of eating great, we decided, we were going to enjoy our time at the fair. We had fresh cut french fries and a toasted cheeseburger. It was delicious and felt so worth it--we actually looked forward to it. We both were a tad worried we'd feel gross afterwards, but we were just, mainly a little blah in the morning. Nothing extreme really. Just reminded why I like eating well, because my body actually feels good. We also went to a 40th birthday party that had amazing handmade desserts and so Declan had a cookie or two and I had this mini-apple pie thing, and that was ok.

The weekend before we went to Chili's and I wanted fajitas. Like, I wanted to eat flour tortillas and have cheese and sour cream and all the stuff I haven't had in weeks. So I did. I left feeling way too full, but it was still yummy.

Having those 'cheats' are up to you. Some say it makes living this lifestyle the rest of the time more doable. Some NEED to have a pizza night once or twice a month with your family. Dude, do it. You may find you feel a little funky afterwards, but it'll make you get back to eating well again, I assure you.

***

Basically, what I've found in my research and talking to people over the last month plus about this is this: Everyone has a little different take on it. Some are of the belief to NEVER CHEAT EVER. Some say, hey, if you can do this 80% of the time, it's still good for your body (I would agree with that). Some have differing opinions about bacon, and honestly, don't mess with me and my bacon. :) Some emphasize one thing more than another, etc. Some say you will not lose weight, others say yes you do.  My theory is this: do what works for you and your family. Start with small changes if you want to. For us, it was easiest to just fully dive right in, etc. If you are looking for a really hardcore way to jumpstart look into Whole30.

If you are like my husband, and don't want to lose weight--make sure you are eating enough of the good fats. Cashews, sweet potatoes, avocados, more snacky nuts-type thing throughout the day.

Overall?

We've been more than pleased with how our bodies have responded to eating this way. I hope I answered some of the questions I've been getting. If any more come in, I'll try to field them in the comments section.

Here are some of my favorite resources (besides google):

PaleoOMG, EverydayPaleo, NomNomPaleo, SimplyPaleo, PaleoPlan (why to go Paleo).

***

Some things to note:
This is mostly my opinion, how we do things, etc. Seriously. Google stuff. If you are like, BUT DON'T YOU NEED CALCIUM??? (why does everyone ask that?) I encourage you, to google it. You will find great responses that are way better than anything I could put together. Also, there are people way hardcore about this, so I hope I don't offend the those people, because-sorry. I'm just a regular-joe-schmo trying to show how it works for our family. Oh, and one last thing. Clean Eating vs. Paleo. They are different. Look it up. It doesn't mean one is better than the other, and if you can clean up your eating in any way, I think that's great :) And also, I promise, I am not trying to convince anyone to eat this way. There is no point in doing that since I can't sit there and motivate everyone personally along the way. Obviously has to be something you want to do. I just felt like answering some of these simple questions may help those considering it. Ok. ///end rant


Follow on Bloglovin

44 comments:

  1. um... thank you for this. I've been tossing and tossing and tossing the idea of clean eating around in my head for about a month now. It feels like such a big change. SUCH a big change. Little things, here and there, are making me stop and think - this is what you need to do, this would be good - and so on. Then I saw a post on Facebook from god knows who, and it said, "Food is meant to be fuel... what type of gas are you putting in your body"... and I can't stop thinking about it. Thanks for making this seem possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I say that all the time. Food IS fuel.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of this great information!! Your before/after Paleo diet photo is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing. Super healthy! And your whole transformation is super inspiring. I'm over wishing I was smaller and healthier. Wishing hadn't done anything; now I need to DO. I've finally accepted the fact that I have some sort of gluten intolerance and need to get off the grains and this sounds perfect and filling.

    Maybe this is a dumb question, but do you think this food transformation is safe to do while EBF? I just wonder if it will detox my body and cause toxins to end up in my milk. Like I said-maybe it's a stupid question, but better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is safe! I'm on day 16 of whole30 and EBF and it's going fine for both of us ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes it's fine! I'm in day 16 of the whole30 and EBF and we have both been fine :)

      Delete
    3. I eat a paleo diet and have done so through nursing both of my kids. I'd say you are fine! Give it a try. Good luck!

      Delete
    4. I've eaten a paleo diet while breastfeeding both of my kids and it is fine. Try it out. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you have a really great attitude about food and I think the fact that you "cheat" is important. Because honestly? If you are even remotely social, there is no way that you won't end up at a party/restaurant/event with friends where there is no paleo food. And no wants to be around the girl who is constantly reminding everyone about their super special diet and how all the food everyone else eats is crap. ;) You eat the best that you can when you are at home and in control of the food and enjoy "treats" when you're out. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me! Your food looks great, too! Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do have a question. I pretty much always comment on your IG and posts about this. I am SO intrigued :) and LOVE the idea of the best fuel for your body. So back to my question, when you are pregnant again ;) will you continue eating this way, do you think? I know doctors advice etc etc but do you feel like you could support a pregnancy eating this way. Again I am a veggie and other than a few tweeks here and there we are heading this way in our family too! EXCITED! (PS You look AMAZING)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be a looooong, long time away. From what I've read, eating this way is so healthy that it would essentially mean you don't have to take prenatal vitamins since your food is so richly packed! Which is kinda of cool :) Truth be told, I don't know what will happen. There were some days with my girls the ONLY thing I could choke down was a soft pretzel. I wouldn't deny my body if I felt I needed more then. But again, it will be a loooong time away until I need to think about that ;) I am still nursing and sustaining just fine! Which is helpful to know.

      Delete
    2. I felt better with a paleo diet through my 2nd pregnancy than with a Standard American Diet with my 1st pregnancy. I had no morning sickness the 2nd time around. I got addicted to DQ Blizzards with my 2nd pregnancy, but tried to be paleo at least 80% of the time.

      Delete
  6. Said it once on Instagram and will say it again...you are awesome! :) I am happy to read about your way of doing Paleo...I have considered it but I'm not sure I can give up cheese, potatoes or beans. LOL but you are very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Post! Love your no-nonsense guide and your tummy pics are amazing! I need to do this to bust out my last 5lbs of baby weight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to eat healthier and I know this but I could never take this particular route because I don't like many vegetables or fruit but I'm trying to incorporate them more and more into my diet anyway. I stopped snacking on as much junk food throughout the day at work and I always have more energy in the afternoons than I did before. I wish I could do it like you guys. I read through this entire post anyway, just to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED this! I was excited to check your blog today to see what questions you had answered. I know it is so hard to feel like people are relying on you for answers, so thanks for doing this! Heck, I feel overwhelmed to give the "right" answer with just my immediate family. I just love hearing your experience! The only thing I truly miss is my coffee with home made whip cream that I had every morning (and afternoon if I'm telling the truth). I just can't decide if it's something I want to go back to having or not. Although, if that's the one thing I'm struggling with, I guess I'm doing ok!

    As for the baking... paleo or not, I have no self control when it comes to batter of any kind! I found out quickly that I couldn't have the paleo chocolate chip cookies around. I do ok with the muffins, but still think they need to be scarce around these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So helpful Katie! You're really encouraging me to try this for a week (I actually put it on my 22 before 22 bucket list!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love that you have a young life magnet on your fridge. Such a great organization!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love that you have a Young Life magnet on your fridge! Such a great organization!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the meal ideas! I get overwhelmed with the thought of "meal planning" but your suggestions are so simple. I do have a question...when your husband cooks chicken on Sunday for the whole week, how long is it good? I'm always afraid after a few days to eat it for fear it has "gone bad" but I have no basis for this thought! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading this. I have been working on my own nutrition in the last several months so it's nice to hear about your experience with paleo. I definitely agree with alot of what you are saying. And, you look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like it that you cheat. I've tried it before and I always quit and wnd up binging as soon as I have one bite of something non Paleo. I'm going to give it a try again but be a little less strict like you. I'm a beer gal and with a 3 year old and a 16 mon old its pretty much a requirement. I'm excited for Monday to start this again(I always have to start on a Monday).

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie, thank you, thank you, for posting this!! (even though you didn't want to ;) I found it very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That "ice cream"? Yeah I'm SO making that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your transformation is amazing!! I still don't think I could (or want to) do it. I just loooove food and cheese and desserts and all that, hehe. However, I often... OFTEN feel like I'm soooo tired all of the time- mainly about 3-4pm on. I need like 9-10 hours of sleep daily to feel refreshed, and sometimes I don't get more than 8. It's more realistic for me. So in times like those, I do wonder if eatin more of a Paleo lifestyle would help with my tiredness. But the truth also is... I'm a long distance runner, and I NEED carbs. Like, I eat nothing but carbs 2 days before a long run. I don't think of have energy DURING a run if I didn't. Thoughts on that at all?
    At any rate, I can definitely say I think about it a lot bc of how amazing you look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, check out this article by Mark Sisson, a former marathoner who went primal (paleo + dairy) years ago and is doling out daily wisdom on his blog. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-fuel-a-marathon/#axzz2h3WBwQEy

      Delete
  20. I think this is the best explanation of paleo i have read. i really want to go paleo. My main issues are taking an hour of the weekend to prepare food for the following week (just an hour - i know - i'm being ridiculous. I have always been a very last minute kind of girl. I know if i would JUST DO IT though, eventually it would become habit).

    I need to get my hubby on board w/ this. I think that would make it easier! :)

    So... can i pin this post as long as i don't use that image that you said you would DIE if you saw it on pinterest?! B/c i was going to pin it to refer back to! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marcus said "whoa!" to your picture :) (as did I)

    I know you are probablyy bombarded with so many questions but I am super grateful you took the time to type all of this out. Making some changes in the way we eat has been on my heart for awhile. Epsecially cutting out dairy (I'm lactose intolerant and so are the boys. Every day my stomach hates me and I'm finally like whyyyy am I doing this to myself?) I think I have some googling to do because I don't know if I'm interested in paleo but I am in clean eating. We got out of a lot of processed when Luke was diagnosed with the food allergies but it's slowly crept back in. With all of the changes of just having the baby and starting work again last week I like that you emphasized that it's ok to start small. I tend to me an all or nothing person which can be stressful when implementing new things so baby steps it shall be!

    I know you have cut back on eating out but have you been able to have mostly paleo meals at restaurants?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really want to print this out and laminate it and put it in my kitchen. I'm really thinking about doing this--trying to see if I can get Andrew on board, because I desperately need a change in my diet. Thank you for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this girl, agree with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is definitely an interest for me for sure. You've made it seem realistic and I love that. As of right now we are a two person household and we eat at home most every night. I could easily start incorporating some of these principles into our weekly routine to get a jump start.
    We do eat a lot of processed foods because they're so "easy" so my pantry looks like the middle aisles of the grocery store threw up in there. I'm curious about what you did pantry wise to prepare for this. I can only imagine what it looks like now after a clean out and not having all that "junk" in it.
    I know this post took you some time but I truly appreciate it. I like your take on how it can be achieved relatively easily so thank you for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved this post, great for so many paleo newbies!!

    Loved the calcium comment, I have been listening to paleo podcasts for a couple weeks at work and learned that when you pair calcium with sugar(lactose) your body doesn't even absorb it properly!!

    I think I am in the same boat as you with my occasional non paleo foods, mostly weekends and try to at least keep it gluten free! To us now it isn't a diet and a lifestyle and I think once people actually learn what these other foods in the moderations most Americans are eating them is horrible. Again your google why corn is bad for you!

    Netflix has some awesome documentaries on farming and corn that made us really adapt eating paleo in the first place if you haven't watched those!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nothing irritates me more than how expensive eating healthy is. I shopped for us on the 1st, and I am blown away at how much was spent. Now, we did eat fairly clean, as you know...so, we *always* did grass-fed, local meats, which is more...and some other things...but going all the way? Holy moly. This is something I need to really figure out because we can't keep spending this AND eating well.

    Glad you guys are enjoying this! I, too, wonder how things will be on cheat days (as you said with the fair food), but I figure it can't be too bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Crazy cool post! Matt and I aren't paleo, but we are a vegetarian version of it I guess. How you feel about your bacon is how I feel about my bread haha. That's awesome though! I love back to basic cave man style food. It's so good. It's crazy how when we do cheat on sugar stuff it awakens this horrible addiction monster.... Sugar is such a mean nasty guy! And it's like you said, my face will break out so quick. Anyway cool to hear more about paleo diet and cool to hear how well it's treating you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks like it must've taken you forever to write. lol. But such a great, balanced way of presenting it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great overview. You are so right about people putting the paleo diet on a pedestal and making it more difficult than it is. The best thing about the diet is that you customize it to your needs. I also wanted to thank you for the shout out to my website (www.paleodietevolved.com). I've noticed a bit of traffic coming from you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for posting this. I've been telling my family how I need to start cutting out grains because it;s making me sick after I eat it. I'm good for lunches/dinners too but breakfast is hard. I've been eating oatmeal with fruit for years so it's hard to change it and find other things that are quick to make!

    ReplyDelete
  31. We basically eat this way already except for the cheese. I also still like to have fruit and yogurt sometimes so the dairy is the only thing I have not been able to cut out completely. This is a great post about it, Katie, I'm SO glad you shared this info and let people know that eating REAL food is easier than it looks/sounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look so awesome and are so inspiring. I am almost caught from reading from the beginning and I think you are just awesome. I am trying to figure out how to fit workouts in my schedule as a working mom. I know that ideally I should go on my lunch break but that would mean joining a gym and that means I have to stop being cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My husband and I started eating Paleo(ish) yesterday. I was SHOCKED at how not-hungry I was. I think starting the day drinking water (16 oz by the time I'm done breakfast, which is not a lot, but it's 16 oz more than I was drinking!) helps a lot too. Anyway, I knew you posted about some coconut milk creamer that you use and I wanted to find out what it was. I mixed canned coconut milk and vanilla extract, but I don't like the texture, so I'm wondering what you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete