Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

We do halloween.

Halloween has certainly changed for me over the years and I'm totally ok with it. I've appreciated so much reading the blog posts I've seen around that are all, hey, I was one of those people who was told not to celebrate the "devil's" holiday as a kid...but, look, I love Jesus and I choose to do it with my family now and it's OK. Because I am one of those.

I was actually first raised that we did do Halloween. You know, the fun parts. I remember trick-or-treating, even. In fact, I have a few photos of us dressed up in happy, non-gory, kiddish-type costumes. I believe I was a farmer-girl. Sweet and innocent little farmer girl. It wasn't until we began attending another Church that had, let's say, stronger convictions (especially in leadership) about the subject that suddenly Halloween was something we no longer participated in. They had events where you could dress up as Bible Characters (yay) and go from table to table within the four walls of the church for the 'harvest fest' instead of, you know, going door to door. There were times I was pulled out of the Halloween parades and events at school. I remember hating that. We just didn't do Halloween.



I don't blame my parents. I adore them and know that at the time, they were doing what they felt convicted about, and honestly, I think they felt swayed by what 'Church' was saying Was Right at the time, too. But I will say this-- I truly believe that it's what you make it--these holidays. And when it came to us, having children, and participating in things like trick-or-treating and pumpkin carving, and Halloween parties at the Y, etc---it was a no brainer. We were doing it, we were embracing the parts we enjoy, and doing it with our family.



That's kind of the awesome thing when you become an adult, a parent. You get to make those decisions with your spouse about how you'll handle certain holidays, how they line up with your convictions and faith now, and how you'll spin it.



I'm not telling anyone else what's good for them--I'm just saying, I'm glad we decided that the light, non-gory, trick-or-treating, eating Chili with our friends before we go out, dressing up, pumpkin carving-side of Halloween? Is good with us. And I really just enjoy seeing my kids enjoy the fun, imaginative play that comes along with it. Oh, and candy. Candy's cool, too.



With that said--whatever you do. Trunk-or-treat, harvest party at your church, handing out candy in your neighborhood, hanging with friends in the driveway, chili & beer beforehand, trick-or-treating---have fun. Be light. and Happy Halloween. ;)

(two of my favorite posts during this time: here and here)

13 comments:

  1. I cannot stand all of that cuteness! Hope you guys have a happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute costumes and of course the kids make them cuter! :) HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emeline's poses? I die. Stinkin' adorable that girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Hope the girls have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids adorable... You stunning.. your family is way too cute!!!! Love this post though I have always celebrated halloween and look forward to it every year with my girls and dressing them up and seeing them run around and getting all excited :) Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in your boat too. We celebrated, then started going to church and my dad became a Christian, we all of a sudden stopped because it wasn't "Christ like" and although I understand that thinking, I also believe it depends on HOW you celebrate it and it doesn't have to be evil or bad. Your girls are ADORABLE! And I'm sure you've been overwhelemed with me liking practically every picture you and Declan post of your girls because they are just THAT CUTE! Also... I'm adoring that mustard yellow on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eme's poses!!! I can't even... And Lucy girl is looking cute too! Hope you guys have a blast! The chili and beer beforehand sounds right up my alley. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Their costumes are killing me from cute! I'm dead seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cutest costumes ever!!! I like the way you do Halloween! I wish it was more popular here in England - it looks FUN!!

    I was talking today to my housemate's mother, who is the type of Christian who will open the door to kids ToTing, ask them which school they go to, and, if they say the name of one of several Christian schools in our area, will lecture them about how they "obviously don't love Jesus...". I guess I can see how she thinks, but still, it made me kind of sad. :S

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you have a happy Halloween too! Your kiddos look adorable! I totally love the non gory Halloween stuff. It's too fun to skip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. I went to a church where we had to do the bible costumes for a while. I remember being an angel for that event and something else for another. I just think it's so fun to have a day where you can be wherever you want. Last night, one street in our neighborhood was FILLED with families. People had fire bowls in their front yards, passing out candy, being a community-you can't tell me that's not Christian. I just love the age our kids are now. The costumes are so sweet and innocent. It'll be a little harder when my boys start to be interested in wearing spooky costumes, but for now I couldn't get enough of my little clown and dumbo. Your girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh! by the way, a long time ago you posted a picture on twitter of you in that mustard sweater-you were wearing it to a wedding or something. I remember thinking it was a color cardigan I probably wouldn't consider, but shortly after I found one on sale at the Limited the day after Thanksgiving and bought it. I swear that thing looks cute with so many things I wouldn't imagine. In fact, I just laid it out for something I'm wearing tomorrow. So thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree! People should always choose to do what works for them! The kids look ADORABLE too!

    ReplyDelete