Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

We made this house a home. (a home-tour of sorts)

Being young and naive when we bought our townhouse, we had no idea what was to come. None at all. We thought we could dream up in our head what it looked like to have a family here, what it felt like to be a family here, but we couldn't. It was impossible. We had no idea what it was like.

There are so many times I catch myself saying things, without even really realizing it, that are often complain'y in regards to this house. There's too many steps. It's not ideal for kids. Our living space (kitchen & living room level) is just so.small. WE NEED A SMALL YARD. The rooms are so tinyyyy. Wouldn't a playroom be so nice? Walking up the steps with groceries sucks.

*

Today my house got cleaned. Remember how I admitted to having a cleaner I pay once a month? I don't care about admitting this anymore. Hi my name is Katie, and I pay someone to clean once a month. (Yes I 'clean' (not well) in between those cleans.) (Yes it's very worth it for my sanity.) (Yes we budget for this.)

So I decided that since my house was clean, my girls were napping, that I'd sit down during naptime for a little bit and catch up on Kardashians (stop judging me...actually I don't really care if you do). Well, womp womp, it's not On Demand yet, and meanwhile I get this bright idea to finally take some photos of our home. A few people had been asking lately, and I'm usually all home-tour, huh? aka: not my thing. Of course I can't take them on any normal day. I MEAN. Any normal day it looks like a bomb exploded the place, or it was robbed by a tiny army of cheez-it-eating-mongers.

I pick up my camera and I walk into the kitchen, it seems like the most logical place to start. The funny thing is, instead of seeing everything wrong with the place (which I could normally name 39483098), I start to see things a little different. I remember how much I love the backsplash that my husband put in a few days after we moved in, with his dad. I remember the time they spent doing that together and how special it was.

I see the little office space I put in last year, and I know that those desk drawers are crammed with arts and crafts supplies for my kids, and ended up being very little for me at all. I smile at the chalkboard--because when we bought it 6 years ago, I never knew what I'd ever write on the thing. I just knew I needed it.

I see life when I look at my blinds, filled with tackily-clipped-up preschool arts and crafts, because I know how happy it makes my kid to see and smile at her creations.







I went into the living room. Breathe. This is the weirdest space in the house. It's all of ours. We overrun each other within this space daily. We're in each other's face here. We read here. We watch television and movies here. We snack here. Mac has broken in every couch cushion on that old, disgusting sofa. But I've nursed my babies here. We've had early mornings and mid-day naps here. We've spilled everything known to man on this couch, and on these floors.



They play here. We play here. Books are read, toy boxes are overflowing. Every 'pretty' basket is actually filled (jammed) with toys that aren't even remotely in the right place. We lose stuff here. But we love here.


This one is hard for me. It's not what I want it anymore---I dream of an airy pinterest-worthy bedroom. A cool blue, or airy gray walls, with white flowy curtains and a big K & D hung above our beautiful (non-existent) headboard, with a duvet that doesn't wrinkle, and a spare blanket that actually matches. But I actually saw peace today when I entered.



This is actually a place of rest for me. Lately I've been coming up to bed early, turning on the little lamp, and reading in bed. I've never been a big bed-reader (or reader at all if I'm being honest). But it's cozy for me, now. This is where I put my feet up for a few minutes after I tip-toe out of my girls room at naptime. Where I just breathe and say, only a few more hours and daddy will be home.

This is our place.

The girls are napping. I'd be insane-crazy-woman to wake them to get some photos. Those will have to wait until they wake up. I decide to take pictures of the bathroom. Yes, the bathroom.  



It's their bathroom. Before we had children, this was just an empty, hollow, never-used space. I could have never dreamed about the laughter that often fills this area at night, surrounding bathtime bubble beards and sisters washing one another of sudsy hair. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also filled with excuses and over-tired cries, random pairs of undies on the ground, and little tiny girl hair-ties GALORE. But, it's life. There is life here.


The foyer. It's where we welcome you in, right? Here's a bench---take a seat. Except that bench is mostly used as a place to hold all the bags that seem to always go in the car with us, juggling winter jacket-duty, or taking shoes on/off. It's where groceries are put before making the big trek up the stairs, and where shoes of tiny people and big people live in a jumbled basket below. Welcome.







Everyone's awake now. So, lastly. The rooms that inhabit my people when they're in the most blissful, peaceful part of their day. When their eyelids are shut and they're no longer bouncing off the walls, throwing food on the ground, or playing candyland. Where I spent countless hours nursing both my babies. In that corner, over there. Giving nebulizer treatments to wheezy babes. Changing diapers. Folding clothes and putting away little pink laundry, and going crazy over the never-matching-sock situation. What IS it with those damn socks, anyway?



And the big girl room. I wish I could say this is all peace--but just after she stops fighting us to stay up longer, to find x,y,z book or toy, or to sing me 'just one more song, mommy'---the lights dim and it is peace. Time spent finding the perfect fabrics for her room, the perfect collage-wall additions--months of collecting and collecting to finally put it all together. A book shelf in which she actually prefers NO books to ever be on (toddlers are so weird). A bed that's filled with a billion random blankets, versus the beautiful (k-mart) quilt I spent so long searching for.


Every home is a story. I don't know why it took me walking around today and snapping a few pictures to really drill that in. To really nail down, deep in me--that this is where it's at right now. This is the place my children are making memories in. This is our little place of refuge. This is where we get messy, and put our guards down, and clean it back up again. This is where love lives.

I used to feel stupid having this little chalkboard plaque on the wall. I'd scoff a little at myself, thinking, psh, love lives here. What about when we argue, or when my kid's in timeout for the 3rd time, or when I'm grasping at straws for something.else.fun.to.do. I don't feel the love. 


I don't anymore. I don't think it's stupid. Because this home is filled with memories, good ones--no, great ones. Of two people becoming one--who decide to start a family...bring two fun-loving little girls into the picture. Those two girls who get so much love, so many hugs, so many kisses, and everything they need. Right here under this roof.

We made this house a home.

***

Follow on Bloglovin

49 comments:

  1. What a beautiful home tour!!! Love your commentary because it is from the heart. Here's to many more memories in this home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always thought you had the cutest house... based on what I see on the internet, obviously. :) Like, I really, really like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house makes me want to stop over and curl up on your couch with a hot coffee.
    I am all too familiar with townhouse living and the feeling of busting at the seams. When I start to get annoyed with our lack of space, I remind myself that we have all that we need and more. I like that having a smaller space forces you to live more simply and more aware of keeping what you need against what you want.
    I really love your perspective of seeing the things you love about your rooms, instead of those that you don't. It made my heart all warm and fuzzy.
    By the way, what color are the walls in your living room?
    (joking! because you know someone will ask!)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with this post.. It has really opened my eyes !! So thank you for that! And you are right.. so many memories have been made in that home, so many little things that you normally don't think about but now you have thought about have made this house your home and a very meaningful one... Love it :) thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post Katie. I just spent all of last night and this morning picking up the house because the house cleaners are coming today. ( I have considered not eating and spending that money on a weekly house cleaner).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so so much for sharing. So much. You have a beautiful home. A beautiful heart. A beautiful family. I love your thoughts and honesty. Just the other day I was walking through our (very imperfect) house and thinking how very thankful I am for our home and what it represents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it weird that this made me tear up? Can I still blame the postpartum hormones? Your house is adorable and I love the story that goes along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed this today as we're struggling with our current home situation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your house Katie! The colors and decorations are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me cry. We are currently packing to move out of the house we've lived in for the past 4 years. The house that I have loathed for the past 3 years. But now that we are on the countdown to closing day I'm getting all sentimental; something I never imagined would happen. This was our home. Our first home. Where I brought my babies home. Where we've fought hard, but loved harder.

    You're home is beautiful, and thank you for helping me to see all the reasons I should love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ur house acturalky looks like a beautiful and cimfy home.. My fav was ur room
    And the white bench
    Kisses,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful home and post. You can tell there is lots of love and memories in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your house is so beautiful. Love it and everything about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I needed to read this today. We are having a big party on Saturday and I've been hating on my house all week. I need to remember that we've made it a home, and our guests won't care about knicked trim or any of the other million imperfections worrying me all day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This actually had me in tears. After years of struggles we're actually closing on the sale of our old house on Friday and it is truly bittersweet. As much as we do like our new house, there are just so many special memories in that first house. I brought my babies home there! I really needed this as a reminder to never forget all those important little bits and how special they'll always be. Thanks! And I think your home is really beautiful. You've done a lovely job and really thoughtfully decorated it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the post!! I hate on my house a lot but like you pointed out it holds memories!!! It for sure made me take a step back and realize that I need to be more thankful and find the good in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so in love with the Instagrams & art clipped to your blinds. I'd much rather see a home that is lived-in & well-loved than something out of a catalog. Your home is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful home, but even more beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post! Even if you don't always love it...your house really IS such a home. Love the memories you shared along the way. And I'm loving all of the banners and chalkboards throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful post. You have a beautiful home. I felt the love in your writing--so genuine and peaceful. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post. You have a beautiful home. I felt the love in your writing--so genuine and peaceful. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! My daughter is 7mo and we're slowing transforming our very adult home to a kid-friendly environment. Why it drives me insane sometimes, I'm so grateful for my peanut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO beautiful! Love it so much! its a home. Not just a house. Its gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This whole post is so beautiful (both the pictures and the sentiments) that I don't even know where to start! Your home and everything that goes along with it is perfect. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful post! And your home....equally as beautiful. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful. I love how honest this post was. You've made a house a home, and you can see the love pouring out of those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE your house---it's so cozy and filled with love:) We just moved and it is so hard to make a house feel like home!

    Julie
    www.thechirpingmoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations, yours is the first home tour to ever make me tear up. I LOVE your house, but I love the way you guys live and love in it even more. Everything about your house says family to me. I love that!

    I also pinned that first image of your desk in the kitchen. I've been trying to figure out how to store all of Sam's arts and crafts kind of things without completely taking over the whole downstairs. I love the drawers of a desk or dresser. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's beautiful, your home and your words. And I have a cleaner who comes 2 times a month. It's heaven and MUCH needed. I'm just NOT very good at that...

    ReplyDelete
  30. you have a beautiful home! just beautiful and it looks so cozy!

    and can I ask, where did you find that bath toy net bag? I have been looking for one of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have such a beautiful home! I love your chalkboards and I love the way you decorate your walls. You place looks so cozy and inviting to me.

    We don't own, we rent our townhouse so we can't customize it much to feel more like ours. I've hated so many things about it since the day we moved in, but now that it seems we may need to move soon, all of a sudden I'm in love with the place and it feels so much like home.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your house is super cute. I need to do a tour of mine! I love all of your decorations, especially the trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. It seems so cozy, and I love all of the colors you've used throughout. I also dream of grey bedroom walls, although I've wondered if that'd make a bedroom feel 'cold'...I like the warm colors!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I read you blog often but I'm not sure I've ever commented. Beautifully written. You've definitely made your space a home for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your home is absolutely beautiful, it looks so warm and inviting and definitely seems like a lot of happiness resides in that space. The tiles you used for your kitchen backsplash we have as accents for the tile in our bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for inviting us into your home! It is so YOU! Creativity and love abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for inviting us into your home. It is so YOU! Creativity and love abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your home :) it's so warm and cozy and yes, it's so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lovely lovely post. I've always been amazed at your ability to turn little ordinary areas into something cute for you and your family. You are a do-er for sure and you have created your family a wonderful home. I need some of that do-er juice to rub off on me sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I absolutely love it. I've been struggling with this lately. Our home doesn't reflect *me* (or us, but Brad doesn't care as much, haha) at all. And I'm not taking the time to make it mine. I do little things like buy new flowers for the front porch, but as for the rest of it? It's a verrrry slow process.

    Thanks for sharing! I may have to use some of these ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your home is lovely! I love all the photos and color and personality. So when can I come over for dinner? :) I'll bring wine!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful home, beautiful writing, beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful home, beautiful post, beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love all the little details of your home! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the little details of your home! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I seriously love your house! I think it looks so homey and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  47. i LOVE your house! looks so homey!! let's pretend it's not totally stalkerish that i want to come have a cup of coffee there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hey! I know this is an old post but I was wondering if a regular mattress fits in your Ikea bed frame? I am thinking about getting an Ikea bed frame, but didn't know if we could use the mattress we currently have with it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete