Thursday, November 21, 2013

On being a working-stay-at-home-mom.

This is not what you think it is. Well, maybe it is. I just promise not to tell you that moms should stay home. Or that moms should go to work. Or that one thing is better than another, or that anyone else knows what's best for your family. Or that childcare is bad for your kids (it's not). Or whatever. Because it's not my thing, nor will I ever debate that because it's exhausting and I truthfully don't care.

But E over at E, Myself & I is doing a series about working moms. She emailed me asking if I could talk about my experience being a work-from-home mom. Meaning, I have a paying job not just rewarded in cuddles & hugs & disgusting carpets (I have that job, too), but with an actual paycheck and healthcare coverage.

(source)
Let's just first say--it's a blessing. Having the opportunity to work from home is super great and came at just the right time for my little family. I decided to move away from full time teaching to this. There are definitely benefits to it, mainly, not having to shell out half a paycheck for daycare costs. Getting to work from my couch, on my laptop, in my pajamas. Flexibility when it comes to my kids and doing mom-things during the day, being available for field trips, to pick-up from preschool, all of those things, are very, very nice and admittedly, make my gig look like a piece of cake from the outside perspective, I'm sure (I hope to de-bunk this, later).

The basic gist of what I do is this. I write....(read the rest of the post here)

7 comments:

  1. Katie I love this post! I quit my job as a teacher to be a sahm...I started subbing again but I'm constantly thinking about what capacity I can contribute more to our family. This is a great perspective...I can totally see why your days would be very stressful...always feeling like there is something to get done. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said!! And kudos to you. I typically work in the office but sometimes do from home...usually with the kids at daycare. When the kids are home with me for whatever reason, I usually feel like I'm being a bad mom and bad employee! It's a tough task! Sounds like you're making it work for your family. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't really talk specifics on my posts about all that ;) thanks for understanding.

      Delete
  4. Love your post, it is a hard balance (well for me anyways). I also work a full time job from home and am a SAHM. Luckily we have a fabulous babysitter a couple houses down when I can't have interruptions. I love it but I often feel pulled in every direction possible, still wouldn't trade it for anything though :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading this post. When I work, this is how my days go. My question though is when do you clean? My house & laundry tend to go untouched when I work like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is indeed a blessing! I love working from home and at the same time taking care of my family. You just have to know how to freelance online efficiently and attending to you family's needs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...