Monday, December 30, 2013

Reflecting on New Years Resolutions, weight loss stuff, and the "It's a journey" talk.

I am going to be that person today. That rah-rah, you-can-do-it person. So if you just cannot handle that, now's your cue.

So, if you're someone who needs a little boost, likes a real weight loss story, wants the encouragement that THIS TAKES TIME and it's a process (hello-mine is at least 3 parts, as you'll see), then read on. Because you won't find any miracle pill here, no special shakes or cleanses (nothing wrong with that), just a long, drawn-out journey of someone who felt blah and unhappy and wanted to change it.

--

Most of you know that a few years ago I was a 'resolution story'. Meaning, I started something the 1st of the year when I signed up for a program that I was, frankly, at the time, embarrassed about joining: Weight Watchers online. I thought it was an old lady thing. I just knew I needed something and so something was better than nothing, and something helped kick my butt in gear. I started small. I tracked my eating. I still lived a rather sedentary lifestyle. I did one thing at a time, and at the time, getting control of my eating with tracking, etc, really put me in a place that helped me to be more self aware--which in turn, led to healthy weight loss.

Frankly. It helped take an unhappy momma to a 7 month old (at the time I begun), into a person who was confident in my skin, excited to take a vacation to someplace warm and who felt mostly confident in a two-piece, and had a toddler to lug around all day.
I am so sorry about obnoxious watermarks. I am so sick of hearing about weight loss companies stealing photos and claiming them as their own, so I just want to avoid it if possible.

I considered that a huge win, and I was darn proud of myself. I even started to like running a little bit and ran a few 5K's.

This was part one of my journey, and from what started as a small step, turned into a large leap. A huge, huge step forward in the healthy lifestyle I chose to take on and fight for everyday.

I am about 5'7, and I went from 207+ pounds down to 157 lbs.

***

Then this happened. Very much planned. But also very hard on my mental state after losing weight.


And it turns out, that after I had my sweet Lucy girl, and a relatively healthy pregnancy, gaining 31 pounds--I was 100x more motivated to lose that baby weight and reclaim that bod of mine again.

I was the girl running on the treadmill at 4 weeks postpartum (I felt great), with a newborn sleeping in a bouncer next to me. I committed and I ran a few 5K's before my baby was even 5 months old.

By 6 months postpartum I had hit that original goal weight of mine (the pre-Lucy weight of 157), and again, felt pretty good. I just had this feeling that it wasn't "it" for me.

But I consider this Part Two. Getting back to that illusive goal weight.


The day I gave birth to Lucy I was 188 lbs (as opposed to the 226 lbs I was the day Eme was born-talk about a big difference!), and the goal weight in Part 2 was 157. I think I hit about 154/155.

***

I really don't tend to talk about this Part 3 phase as much. There are a few reasons for that. It's not as much of a battle for me anymore, so it's not something I feel like I need to write about to hold myself accountable, if that makes sense.

Part 3 is the part that involves me upping my fitness, really being serious about healthy eating, the part that actually became kinda fun for me, because, I was finally doing things I'd never done before. It's where I joined the gym, started to enjoy classes, and challenged my body and mind in ways I didn't really even think about prior. Focusing on being strong and not skinny, and honestly, not caring about the number on the scale as much because, I could feel my body getting stronger, and in a way, I was free from that feeling of weight mattering as much.

I actually stopped running as often and started focusing more on classes that I actually liked taking. I wanted to do workouts I enjoyed, versus feeling frustrated when I was running and not loving it, or experiencing some 'high' that I never really felt. In the months from July/August of this year on I learned to love weight lifting, and classes like body pump and bootcamp (which is a workout of the day type of class, sometimes involving HIIT/Tabata/Crossfit-kinda stuff).

Eating mostly Paleo (let's not talk about Christmas, woo buddy, it's been fun but I'm ready to be back) has helped lean me out, and I've even begun to see ab muscles and, um, hello-who doesn't want to see your hard work paying off? It is seriously motivating.


During Part 3 I got strong enough to get up on my toes and bang out some real pushups for the first time in my life and now they ain't no thang. During Part 3 I started to see bicep muscles! This former skinny-flab armed gal now has a little strength in those guns. During part 3 I felt more confident than ever, finally conquered a lot of my former gym-class fears, and started to not give a crap about what other people thought of me. During Part 3 I lost an unexpected 15-18 pounds (I fluctuate a little) just by pairing healthy eating with my workouts. Hello side bonus.

Now, I weigh about 139 lbs (give or take), and am well within my healthy weight range for my height. I'm leaner (although my thighs may always be my 'issue'), stronger, feel better than ever, and actually enjoy and want to workout. It's not only good for me physically but mentally it really helps me, too.

***

This entire process from beginning to now has been 3 years in the making. I'm only saying this to encourage those of you who feel like it's going slow to know that it can be kind of a slow thing. Granted, I had a baby in those 3 years--but, still. My journey has been exactly that, a journey.

From overweight and unhappy, to losing 50lbs, to getting pregnant again, to losing that weight again, then to kicking it up a notch with my fitness, getting stronger--to where I am now. Three. Years.


It's a progress, I can keep working--and I plan to.


***

If it's something---something small even, think about making a health-related goal for yourself this year? Even if it's just to kick the soda habit, to workout X amount of times a week, go from couch potato to 5K'er (and beyond). Do something.

If I've learned anything over these last 3 years it's that each small step turns into a bigger one, and so they're all important. You'll never regret making healthy lifestyle changes, ever. For yourself, your family, your kids.

What's 2014 going to hold for you? What will my Part 4 look like? Not fully sure, but I'm excited to find out! 


--

Things to note:

This is the first time I've ever shared my weight publicly, out loud, besides with my husband and close friends. This is huge for me, and also scary, because I know that everyone wears weight differently and have perceptions based on "the number". But I don't care anymore--I'm breathing in and out.

I don't believe everyone needs to look a certain way to be 'fit'. I believe everyone wears that differently, so this is not about an end weight goal, at all--but more so how you feel, are you keeping your body active, etc.






44 comments:

  1. As always you are such an inspiration! You are so right and I needed to hear the "it's a journey" speech today b/c OMG will I ever be out of the 1XXs!? UGH it's been a standstill for two months fluctuating between 3 stupid pounds and I'm all "OMG maybe this is it for me?!" but NO no it's not! Here's to a healthy and strong 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you look GREAT!! Keep up the good work! You're a inspiration to many others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long-time reader - thank you for sharing! Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this post, I thought it'd make me feel a little down about not doing anything to lose the extra 10lbs I'd love to lose. I know it's hard to share things like your weight but I really do appreciate it. I am just about 5'8" and tend to only find the shorter people that are on their weight loss journeys, it's nice to see someone with about the same numbers as me. I know I know its not about the numbers but sometimes it feels like it is. It's nice to find someone I can relate to more. I know I haven't gotten into my exercise groove yet, but I do know how little things can help. I went gluten and mostly dairy free and saw 10 lbs drop and hit my very first goal of pre-pregnancy #1 weight. Which is a huge deal to me, I immediately found some confidence I had lost. Before this turns into a little blog post of its own just wanted to tell you that I really appreciate you writing this post. I made me want to scream "Yes! it's even the little things that help!". Thanks again! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long time reader...thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing journey and motivation! So proud of you and all you have accomplished. Am curious? Has the weight loss/working out affected your breastfeeding? Or the running? I am currently preggo with #2 and with #1 at first my chest was SO BIG AND SORE that running was OUT of the question, then I worried about milk supply. Currently though I am nursing a 19 month old being 7 months pregnant so milk supply issues I do not have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I think you rock! All three parts of your journey have been so inspiring to me. I'm in part two right now and looking forward to part three ;) Keep up the great work. You look amazing and I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have really enjoyed following your weight loss journey! You look amazing! I know you also want to have another baby at some point (I think?), so how do you plan on keeping up with your fitness then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the girl with chicken legs & no @$$, I was actually admiring yours, lol. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing! And are a huge inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic! I'm still struggling to get the 20lbs off that I've gained over the past 3+ years of being married -__- But this is so inspiring. If you can do it (AFTER 2 KIDDOS!), then I need to kick my butt into gear! Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've actually been a reader of your blog since before phase one of your journey and continue to be motivated and thankful for the encouragement you share with us. I have big hopes for 2014, but like you set those hopes should be taken small steps at a time. Such a wonderful recap of your journey so far. You look wonderful and it's clear how much you feel wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're such an inspiration!! I just had my son in November (I am 5 weeks PP) and I am committing to losing weight and getting healthy! I am so glad you reminded me that it's a process and it takes time... it doesn't happen over night. Thanks for being real! I've considered doing Weight Watchers by ordering my kit off ebay, but I am just not sure I can't just count calories and still succeed. You look awesome and weight lifting and working out really makes a bigger difference than just dieting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look awesome. I've loved following along on your journey. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing in such an encouraging way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such an inspiration. You're the reason I signed up for WW online and lost 20 pounds. I keep seeing your progress and wondering why I've fallen off the truck again. But January 1 me and the husband are going to focus in on getting healthy - I know the number doesn't matter and I just want to be healthy and in a good shape to have a baby in the next few years. Thank you for writing this and being so honest about your journey. I'm honored you've allowed us to tag along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for your honesty and allowing us to tag along on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shared your fb status update with my hubby yesterday hoping to inspire him to set an attainable weight loss go. So far he hasn't come up with anything. It's tough for him right now with me being pregnant with twins. He walked around the block yesterday while C rode his bike but I was sore from bowling the night before. Maybe getting him to count his calories would help. He works so hard out before the sun is up and home after it is down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look brilliant! I have slackened a bit lately and now we are trying for baby number 2 but I hope I am able to lose the weight second time round too! X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for providing such wonderful inspiration. I recently began my fitness journey after having two children, and feeling EXTREMELY insecure about by body. I started with the 30 Day Shred, but hope to get into more clean eating and heavy lifting very soon. Thanks for sharing your story! You look so happy and healthy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. New reader here but just wanted to say what an inspiration you are for me. And I'll tell you why. I'm about 7 mos pregnant with #2 and to see you achieve your goals AFTER having kids is just so comforting. When I got pregnant with #1, I thought that was it. The body I had in my 20s and hated was the best it was ever going to be because having kids makes it nearly impossible. But you're showing me that's not true at all and I CAN'T WAIT to go back to Weight Watchers (although it's been years - and it shows) and into some workout gear so I can hopefully one day hit my goals too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an inspiration you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing all of this, Katie! I'll be bookmarking this post for the days when it's not happening "fast enough" to remind me that it is a journey, with many ups and downs along the way. I can't wait to see what 2014 holds for your part four!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are amazing! You truly inspire me to make sure I get to pump class and don't just fall back on running because your arms!? Wow! I actually sometimes say to myself," linds, katie has two kids and gets to the gym on the daily. No using your one kid and teacher schedule as an excuse." So thank you! Also, because of you I'm not totally petrified of getting pregnant again and losing my post-baby-one progress. Lastly, holy wow does this fam feel the need to get back to paleo after the month of December. End rant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're amazing. I love you and your story. Such an inspiration to me! :) Keep up the great work, mama! You're rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look fabulous lady! And I love that you talk about how it's always in progress. People think that once they get to their goal weight, they can just eat whatever/not workout. But as you said, it's all a lifestyle change! Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look awesome, girl. Your hard work has certainly paid off. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This makes me sound so shallow, but the numbers, the numbers make this real for me. I say this all the time, but you are such an inspiration! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for posting this! I am almost in your same shoes and weight as you started at so it gives me such great inspiration to read this. Thank you again for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You are so amazing! I love that you shared the numbers, although without them I would still enjoy reading about your 3-year journey! Thanks for having the strength and to share so openly about a journey that most people lie about. You are amazing Katie! Here's to 2014 and part 4 bringing more healthy lifestyle!!! You inspire me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. love love love. you're awesome, real, and inspiring. as always, insanely motivated and proud of you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look BEYOND amazing!! Always such an inspiration and I've loved following along this journey. You're hot mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this post! You look great and I'm so motivated by this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your photos are a HUGE inspiration to me, and I need to get to work! :) Thanks for being so honest and inspiring me to get off my duff and get happy about the body I reside in!

    ReplyDelete
  35. this post nails it. so great! you are a great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  36. you're amazeballs. i seriously love you and all your posts! you're my inspiration :) congrats mama!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I need that rah rah in my life
    after my first 3 i lost all my baby weight and was even down an extra 10...i kept all that off for 3 yrs. it was easy....
    i thought that when i got preg again ..1 i wouldn't gain that much and 2 it would fall off...well little did i know getting preg 4 times in 4 years (only had 3 of those babies) would have changed all that. here i sit with 35 extra lbs and horrified. nothing in my closet fits and i'm miserable. being only 5'4 ppl say..."oh it looks good on your frame" what does that even mean...no one wears fat well!!!
    with 6 kids there isn't a moment i'm alone to workout. if i'm not cleaning or homeschooling or prepping dinner for 8 or cleaning kitchen or bathing kids or doing laundry..oh did i mention cleaning?....i tried work out dvd's but i think you can see the humor of the kids near me and not being able to kick and then stopping dvd a million times b/c someone won't quit fighting with each other. i think i get 5 mins into the workout and i throw my hands up and yell "MOMMY IS TRYING TO GET HER GROOVE ON LEAVE HER ALONE"

    cole is cosleeping and STILL wakes about 3-4 times a night. the other 2 small ones have decided their room is scary in the middle of the night and come in my room and sleep on a palate. needless to say they are all NOISY and up by 6-6:30 ..no sneaking out for a workout there...

    we go on walks...but seriously how does one get a good heart pumping workout pushing a stroller with 2 small ones walking at a snails pace looking at the world around them..

    excuses i know...but i can't seem to find where i can put the time to get in a workout.


    ohhh i'm venting! momma needs a good hr 5 days a week to focus on getting my body back

    ReplyDelete
  38. WAY TO GO KATIE!!!! Still such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So proud of you! You look awesome, and you work so hard for it, which is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am a long time reader but it don't think I've ever commented before- but you should be so very very proud of yourself. I am a mom of 5, 3 an done year old boys, and went from almost 200lbs to 130 in my youngest's first year and ran my first ever race, then half marathon. I have two degrees from very good universities and have traveled and done a lot, but losing the weight and running the half marathon was one of the very proudest moments in my life, you should be proud for yourself most of all, but also for what this means for your family, even your grandkids some day. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for sharing your story- you go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for this! Whenever I see your IG posts about working out and eating good, it's a little kick in the pants for me to keep going. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  43. So I always feel like I say the same thing over and over again, but really, if it weren't for you and Susan, I don't know what would have gotten my bum in gear to start weight watchers and stick to it (for the first time in my life!) I know how hard it is. I have followed you from the start and it still brings tears to my eyes to read your story and see your success and your hard work and dedication to being healthy and strong, an amazing role model to your daughters and an inspiration to so many women. I am most definitely saving this post to read in about 7 months when I need to get my saggy, flabby baby birthing body into shape.
    You are Incredible and I am so so so very happy that you have come so far and stuck with it.
    Be proud, lady!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  44. Katie, I love this post. I'm serious when I tell you that I read all your weight lost post on a binge early this summer. Seeing that you could do it helped me do it. I feel like our lives (and hearts) are similar and it was because I connected with you through silently reading your blog that I felt an extra push to do this for me. Warm and fuzzies all around. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...