Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Master Bedroom Makeover. It was time.

You guys. FINALLY! My bedroom is done and I'm so happy about it I could cry. Okay, basically, I'm just ecstatic that it is no longer the dark green unhappy hole it used to be. Paint changes errrrythingggg.

Because I know you'll skip ahead anyway.


It's currently looking a whole lot lighter and fresher, and praise hands baby, momma is happy, happy.

Because it came a long way from looking like this:
womp, womp.

Ok! So now. More pictures.





(ignore the blurred out TV cords...those are being taken of shortly! Beautiful yellow wooden box made by my friend Lauren, she rocks.)


...and a little iPhone panorama....


Isn't it cozier? I honestly am spending so much more time up here because it's just so much less....BLAH.

So here's what happened (if you care).

I was OVER our bed frame. We've had that sucker from IKEA now for like, 6+ years.  Six years ago it felt fancy to us. Now? I was ready to move up to a big girl bed. Yep, just a headboard. We so fancy :) My awesome friend, Lauren (who, you will see, helped me out with a ton), pointed me in the direction of this headboard from, wait for it.....WALMART.com. The price? Well, you can't beat it and you can barely make yourself one for that price. I was sold. Gray. Mine.

Within a few days we had hired Declan's brother to come paint. I know, I know--I could paint myself, but those ceilings get SO HIGH with the cathedral pitch, and the dark green paint required primer. So, for a few hours, and much less money than I thought, (or wrangling kids around wet paint), a few of my brother in law's workers came and banged it out. I was so pleased! Aqua Mist by Behr. It's pretty :) And? I didn't have to do it! hooray.

Lauren went on the hunt for those end tables for me. She rehabs old furniture (find her on instagram, here), and so I knew I needed her to do find me some big-girl matching side tables. For $20 she found me these old (solid wood) end tables (from an old Mariott! ha!), and then did her thing to pretty them up. The paint color is Anonymous by Behr.


I could not love them more. I added in the cute little chalkboard baskets (from Target), wrote "his" and "hers" on each of ours, and there you have it.

***

Room randoms:

I made those 3 wreaths above the bed--easy as heck. Just got a few of the plain-jane twig wreaths from the craft store and fancied them up with a few felt flowers, yarn and some dried flowers. I knew I wanted to add texture and so this (with the baskets) was my solution.


I know, not everyone is into the idea of a TV in a bedroom. It's actually more for me and the girls than Declan & I combined. I like a place to retreat sometimes at naptime, or lounge in bed some mornings with the girls watching cartoons. I also really like watching my chick-shows like the Bachelor up there, too. It's true.

I really didn't want to do a collage wall up there, but I felt it needed to be done to help around the TV area. So I got some cheap, cheap frames from Christmas Tree Shops, used a few wedding pics, a few of my favorite black and whites, and a few free printables (found by searching in pinterest) to fill it up for now.



I went looking for bedside table lamps everywhereeeee and ended right back up at Target. I really loved the look of the glass/crystal bases and for the price at Target, you couldn't beat it.



White fluffy rug on the ground=Target. It's so fluffy and feels so good on my toes, it's one of my favorite things. And rug on rugs works in my life until the day I have hardwood floors.


Bedding is the same stuff I've had on my bed for a loooong time. A white duvet from (this is getting redundant), Target. I love it because it's actually simple to wash and keep clean, believe it or not :) The throw pillows are from, yea. You know where.

Curtains are a 2 pack for $14 from Tuesday Morning. If you don't have one of these stores, it's basically a hodge-podge of things you never know if you'll find again.

went with again, something light and airy, gray paisley design.
And one of my favorite little 'upgrades' was keeping my old furniture (which is actually junky stuff, but works for now), and just taking off the black hardware and getting crystal pull knobs off Ebay for cha-eap! It makes them look so pretty and much lighter than the black.


Ok. I think that's it.

Phew.

Much better, don't ya think?


***

ahhhhh.

You know where to find me.


30 comments:

  1. Looooove it! You have inspired me to want to change my room! It looks so fresh and light!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! Good job. Wish our Targets up here in Canada had that duvet! I really need one! Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, the change is so drastic considering how much *actually* changed. Paint is magical. I love the color, it looks fantastic. I kind of want to swan dive onto your bed with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. My husband and I were just talking about how we need to upgrade/redo/DO our bedroom. It is the last room to get anything new or upgraded or painted and well it NEEDS it:) Yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I have those lamps too! I wish I could have a white comforter .... but never when we have huge dogs! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now I want to redo our room! :) It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. turned out perfect! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing Amazing!! I am loving the color combination here. Perhaps because it is my wedding colors! haha

    I am in the process of doing the guestroom in our house with grey and yellows and whites. When we moved into our house, I really wanted to have every room have its own personality. I LOVE how you did yours. Our master bedroom is a chocolate brown color. I thought it would be overpowering, but actually is stunning since we have white white furniture in it. Eventually I will get around to posting all the pictures of our renovations and room creations haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Looks fresher. Great makeover!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So impressed! It looks absolutely incredible. I completely believe in re-doing rooms. It just feels so dang refreshing to do something new. Good for you! Now go enjoy a week of basking in the glory of your hard work. You just can't beat a room with this color palette - complete perfection and so airy. Congrats, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks incredible!! I completely believe in re-doing rooms, there's just something so refreshing about it. Now go enjoy this perfectly airy room. Such a great color palette and THAT HEADBOARD! I just love it all. Congrats, momma!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out amazing. Loving the light airy feel of it. I love the wreaths above the bed. Love it all, now I want to go redo my room

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it all so much. This is basically my ideal bedroom. We really need to get on it and "do" our bedroom...it's just that nobody sees it but us, and so it always feels like the lowest on the priority list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous update! So light and airy. Very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katie, it's beautiful! I LOVE it! I've been working on a room re-do of my own for, oh, a year or so now. Maybe soon I will actually finish!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been dying to pull the trigger on that headboard for MONTHS, but even despite the awesome reviews, I was scared it would look janky IRL. LOVE your room makeover, and I am ordering that headboard NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE it! So open and airy and light! But do you get blinded when the sun wakes up? We have to have room darkening shades b/c holy mother of sun! So since I'm jealous and now want to re-do my bedroom I just decided to save myself a divorce and cleaned ours and now I love it all over again! Isn't having a lovely bedroom the best? As a fellow former bedroom hater I know how nice it is to have somewhere you love to retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great! And oh my the headboard. I've had one on my list of things to make for a few years now but for that price you better believe I will be buying it. Wow! Doesn't hurt that it's my birthday next month. Might have to plant a few ideas in my hubby's ear :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I'm starting to think that when we upgrade our bed we need just a headboard instead of a new bed frame.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful update!! I really love bright bedrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. Room is gorgeous, well done!
    2. I seem to remember that "easy to clean" duvet ending up like a donut the last time you washed it, no? :p

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep, your room looks amazing!! Very light and airy, enjoyable atmosphere! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous!! And thank you for explaining what you did, where you got stuff, etc. I've been searching for paint colors for Noah's room and was hooked on Behr after browsing. Love this color! Everything is just so pretty and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE IT. Love the nightstands & the "his" & "hers" baskets! So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. love it all!! it seriously looks so calm and inviting. makes me want to tackle my bedroom stat!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Katie! Just wondering what size the lamps are - I am trying to order new lamps for my bedside tables and don't know if I should go with the small or medium size ones (same as you - have been eyeing them and they are finally on sale on Target.com!). Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it. I have one of those lamps and I love it. It's such a great fit. The color of your room is so soothing. We have this huge dark wooden furniture that we bought as we were house hunting and it barely fits in our room. I'm dying to pull the bed frame out and get something a little more understated. I'd been scoping out an upholstered headboard on amazon, but now I'll have to check out that wal-mart link. I never would have guessed it was from there.

    ReplyDelete