Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

The end of naptime didn't ruin my life.

3yr. 8 mo. 7d. I cannot complain about that. Anyone who does complain about that amount of glorious naptime deserves a swift kick in the you-know-what from the mom of kid who stopped napping at some god forsaken early age like 18 months or something.

We had a really good run.

And while I thought the end of naptime would kill me....it's been a few months now and it isn't so bad after all.


(via)

It's true. I Dreaded (with a capital "d") the end of naptime for Emeline. I pushed through every hurdle, every time I thought it was The End, and we made it through to the other side and the few blissful hours of quiet time in the house mid-day remained. It became my little sanctuary. I thanked God silently every day for this little gift of peace. This little boost of energy. For the time I got to pop my feet up for a second and drink another cup of coffee, and drink it hot, while I'm at it. Never did I realize that drinking hot coffee would be a luxury. What has my life become.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'd hate for you to get me wrong. I am not happy naptime is over. In fact, we've basically just replaced naptime with "quiet time" and this way we both still get alone time. Because the truth is, by about 1:30pm, I can think about nothing else. I have never, and will probably never be the mom who wants naptime to stop, or keeps my kid awake just to spend time with them. I really can't fake it. I love me some alone time, and that's a byproduct of naptime, therefore=it's a love/love relationship and there's no denying that from me. Sister, that's the truth.

Right now, although my time mid-day alone has dwindled down to about an hour, tops, with multiple interruptions in between. It has been survivable. I've not completely lost it yet and for the most part, we're all kinda happy and ok.

As far as knowing when it was time? Well, it's not that she just completely stopped napping one day. No. Actually, I'm pretty sure the girl would have willingly napped until she was 13. We just found that bedtime was getting so friggin' hard (as in, let's drag this out until past mom's bedtime, and, yea--no, that's not cool). She wasn't TIRED. Even if we let her stay up later than her sister. Or let her play in her room. Or whatever. It was a fiiiight. And we were sick of fighting.

Once she became a kid who could actually GET through the whole day napless without being a complete and total meltdown-freakazoid by 5pm, then we knew it was time. She could handle her little self without physically sleeping mid-day, make it to bedtime fairlyyyyy happy--and with as much as a story, song, and a kiss and she was KNOCKED OUT COLD.

For the first few days my husband and I would stand there in complete disbelief.

OH MY GOSH WAS BEDTIME REALLY THAT EASY????

I traded my time mid-day for some more hours on the evening end--and that's basically the gist of it. Both girls go to bed at the same time now (Lucy still takes a 1-2 hour mid-day nap), and both sleep a blissful 12'ish hours at night.

Finally cutting out the mid-day nap didn't kill me, it made me stronger. (Just kidding, hey Kelly Clarkson!) No, really. At the end of the day, I'm all heck yesssss it's bedtime! And it's much easier when she's actually totally tired and ready for bed, too, go figure.

We cut the nap and I lived to tell about it.

That, my friends, is a victory.








15 comments:

  1. My son is still sleeping 3 hours nap during the day and he sleep from 9pm to 6am. but he wakes up every single night at 4am for milk. and no we still haven't cut the bottle...reading your post through my sleepy eyes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um yea, Brady stopped napping at like, 20 months. Sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - I was just talking with my husband about this. My Emmalyn is almost 3.5 and bedtime is SO difficult. Throw in daylight savings and now she isn't falling asleep until close to 10:00. (Hard when her bedtime used to be 8:00 on the dot!) I'd much rather have both my kiddos asleep at night at the same time (I have a 17 month old as well). Glad to hear it was a good transition for you. Hoping to give it a try over here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're honest enough to admit that you LOVE alone time. I'm with you sistah! I'm dreading our end-of-naptime day, and I'm sure it's coming. Until then? Me and my afternoon coffee date will praise God! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really need to take James' nap away so he'll go to bed before 9:30-10pm, BUT...I need it SO badly. He is *ahem* 4 years, 5 months, and 11 days old today. He doesn't NEED a nap and is (usually) fine going a whole day without one. But that 1-2 hours every afternoon is GLORIOUS. There are days when he stays in his room and reads or plays quietly, but the days when he falls asleep and is OUT for a bit, ohmygosh. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get this! My oldest stopped napping at around 2 and a half. Not cool at all! I would have loved to have another year of naps. But you are right. It does make bedtime so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son stopped napping at two, and I was seriously upset. Haha. I'm in nursing school so I used that time to study so I didn't have to stay up late to do it. Yeah. No. No more. We haven't taken naps in a year. I'm jealous! I'm glad you survived The End.

    www.lincsmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha love it! My son is 18 months and I plan on him napping until at least the age of three. We'll see how it goes! :) Glad you are getting your quiet time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest gave it up at 18 months. Sometimes the days are long but overall, I don't miss fighting her at nap AND bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm also dreading this day. Kudos to you for making it so long. And I'm so glad it's helped in the bedtime department. Mac didn't nap at all last weekend and I thought I'd go out of my mind. Alone time is so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My niece was dedicated at church yesterday and there was a BBQ after so we didn't get in the car until 2ish and hubby tried and failed with transfer. Chase is getting sick and there were some tantrums but he didn't fall asleep until 9ish with Benadryl but the thought crossed my mind that he didn't pass out at 5pm like I expected. I like my alone time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm scared for the end of naptime. My son is almost 4 and still naps. He gets up at 6:00 am, which may be a sign that he should be done with the nap but I'm just not ready to throw in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, so when I have kids (if ever...) I'm just going to have you on speed dial so you can be my go-to parenting guru. You're a rockstar mom and even though I don't have babies yet, I love your posts like these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man. We are rapidly approaching that 3 yr 8 mo 7 day mark. You're taking it like a champ, but I'm shaking in my boots.

    ReplyDelete