Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

You're capable of more than you think.

I'm not really the charge-ahead type. I have to make my decisions carefully, and really think about them. Especially the ones that put myself out there, that make me feel vulnerable--those that make me a little nervous.

This might sound extremely LAME, and I hate to admit this now, but one year ago when I joined the gym, I was kind of terrified. Thankfully, I had my sister and a few other friends who went there often. I could plan my visits around when we could workout together. I always made sure I had someone. You know, there's some sort of security in numbers or something. Right?

I couldn't even attend a group class alone at first. I needed someone else to be there that I knew. Someone else to laugh with at my ridiculous Zumba moves (thank God I gave that up-it's bad), because I just couldn't own it myself. Flat out, I was insecure.

Slowly...slowly but surely I felt more and more comfortable. When I felt like I got this with one group class, I decided to try another. I started to feel more capable of trying everything and anything. I found my niche in a few classes that I swore I'd never have had the courage to walk into, ever, and I was wrong. They've become my favorites.

Some of them really involve stepping outside the box, a lot of teamwork, and that? That can be completely terrifying sometimes, especially for someone like me who didn't participate in sports & teams in school. Just putting your fitness and capabilities flat out there for the world to see? Yea. That's kind of vulnerable.

For example, this week, in bootcamp, when we did a huge group relay, involving suicides, in a team-setting, and everyone's cheering you on as you perform and run and sweat in front of them. My heart always races a little before we start, because ohmygosh. But I've had to get out of my head, and this week---out of 8 teams, MY TEAM WON. And the two other guys on my team told me I had the lead in suicides. You guys, I HAD THE LEAD!  I know it's kind of a stupid thing to be proud of, but I came home and told my husband that although it means nothing, that our little team 'won' (no one even acknowledged it really), it was a huuuuge deal to me, and a huuuuge reminder to just how far I've come.

I felt darn proud.

I don't know if that left me feeling like I could just conquer anything, or what? But the next morning I woke up determined to get over my last gym fear....cycling (spin, RPM, whatever you all call it ;)) I know, I know--it's just a bike. But that thing intimidated me like no other. Walking into a class, not sure if you were (gasp) taking someone else's spot. Not being able to hide because you haaave to let the instructor know you're new so they can help you get all set up and explain things with the bike, ya know? It surely ain't your momma's zumba class in the way you can slip in the back and no one knows. But I walked in, basically blurted out in an awkward way that THIS IS MY FIRST TIME, OHMYGOSH, HELP ME. And everyone was welcoming and sweet, and the instructor even called out to me a few times during the class to make sure I was hanging in there (I was).


I came, I worked hard, I got a good sweat, I conquered....and my butt is sore to prove it (as I was told it would be).

And you know what? Again, that feeling of accomplishment came over me. I realize, I totally realize this sounds laaaame, but it's true. It was a mini-gym-fear of mine, spin class--but I did it. And I'll be back. 

Sore bum & all.

(pin via)


***

Anyone else have weird fears like I do? Anyone else have any proud moments this week? share! :)
Step out of the box today, you may just surprise yourself.

xo

16 comments:

  1. I've never had a problem with trying out group classes alone (which is great until that one time when I walked into a hiphop class...) But going into the actual weight/treadmill area still scares me. I always wear a ball cap down really low and headphones thinking that if no one can see me and no one can talk to me, I'm basically not there! ;) I've done a class that made us go to the gym and do PE type drills but it wasn't teamwork stuff. That crap TERRIFIES me! If they try to pull a stunt like that I'm gonna fake diarrhea and get outta there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Katie! I could have written it myself. I cannot ever do Zumba again, my face grows hot thinking about all my uncoordinated moves. Trust me, this is for the good of the public. The last class I have yet to conquer is spin too. I blame living in NYC with all my crazy spin obsessed friends who would set alarms to sign up for their favorite instructor and me totally thinking that a beginner would not fit in. Perhaps this is the time to conquer that fear.
    Your win in class is awesome and you should be extremely proud of yourself. I know we are all proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, the first time I did spin I had to sit on a pillow for the next few days..it wasn't even my butt it was like my lady part bones. I went back a few days later and OMG it was even worse. It took 3-4 classes to not have sore lady bone parts. I've heard you learn to use different muscles so you're not actually sitting down even when you are sitting. Now I do spin 4-5 times a week I even bought to cool shoes that clip in and yes it makes a HUGE difference in the workout I won't even do class if I forget my shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. It is TOTALLY your inner lady parts. I was saying bum to be "nice" :)

      Delete
  4. Girl, you should be super proud of yourself! Kicking ass and going outside of your comfort zone are both big accomplishments!

    I don't think your fears are one bit weird or lame. I think people really underestimate how intimidating it can be to make changes health and fitness-wise. It seems so simple - just clean up your diet and exercise! Well, that involves a lot. Education, determination, finding the strength to force yourself outside of your comfort zone, the list could go on! It's really much more complicated than a lot of people make it out to be.

    I commented a while back about joining the Y and you encouraged me to do so. So did some of my friends and my husband so a couple of weeks ago I joined! It's hard. And I'm not talking about the exercise part, I'm talking about putting yourself out there, starting from scratch and gaining knowledge about WTH you're supposed to be doing while you're at the gym, attending group classes, prioritizing something for yourself in an already overwhelmed schedule, etc. See? A lot more goes into it than, gee, I think I'll work out today! :D

    Anyway, I'm really pushing myself outside of my comfort zone (I attended a Zumba class earlier this week for the first time and OMG... I'm ridiculous! How do the other people get their bodies to move like the instructor's?!) and I really hope that months from now I'll be able to say things like, I was terrified, but I've got this now and I'm proud of myself and if I can do it you can too!

    I really love reading other peoples' journey and the things you share here about yours are so inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you joined! I hope you love it! thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  5. You are such an encouragement to me! I love this post. It is exactly how this awkward, chubby, non-athletic girl feels. I just need to suck it up and jump in! I'm the only one holding me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are all those awkward, non-athletic girls sometimes. Heck, I still am ;)

      Delete
  6. Spin is scary! And really hard, did you find that too? Of course it should be a challenge but spin for me is to much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like doing anything alone...at least not the first time I'm doing it. I always need that moral support until I get comfortable with whatever it is I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spin terrifies me! I just joined the gym back in December (after a few years away) and am slowly adding classes as I feel comfortable. This past weekend I went to an introductory spin class where they spent 30 minutes showing us how to set up the bikes and the different positions. I appreciated it, but started to regret that decision when we started the 30 minute "beginner's class." I thought I was dying - exaggerate much? - and am not sure how I'd make it through an hour long class. I would love to get into it, though. I feel like it could do great things for my legs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really do not have a fear of the group classes and go to them all by myself, but Spin is something I want to try soooo bad, but I am to scared to go by myself. I don't want to raise my hand and say I am new and I am convinced I will fall off the bike even though I am pretty athletic. Love your blog and instagram feed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do not have a fear of the group classes and go to them all by myself, but Spin is something I want to try soooo bad, but I am to scared to go by myself. I don't want to raise my hand and say I am new and I am convinced I will fall off the bike even though I am pretty athletic. Love your blog and instagram feed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! loved reading this. Spin is by far my favorite. I do it like 3-4 times a week. Recently I took Body Pump and I love it!!! Felt so good to start doing some strength training. I can relate to this post on so many levels (except I will never take zumba! I have two very left feet!!! haha!)

    ReplyDelete