Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lucy's "un"-birthday party.

A few months ago I told Declan I refuse to throw Lucy a legit party. I didn't have it in me to go all pinterest'y. To order pretty invites. To even THINK OF A THEME. To make games and crafts and special favors and all that. I actually asked if we could just go out to dinner or something as a family and that be that. I mean, it's enough for age 2, right?

While I might be decent at it, it doesn't mean I enjoy throwing parties. So a few weeks ago I decided we'd have a little family get-together on her birthday, on a Tuesday night. It didn't need to be fancy. We'd order pizza and sing to her and she'd feel special, right? So yea. That's what I went with.

I basically sent out an email to our family that said, 'Oh, hey. 6pm at Mom & Dad's house---pizza and cake for Lucy's birthday. DO NOT EXPECT A REAL PARTY FROM ME. Let's just make her feel special'. 

Well. That was that. The low stress of it from the beginning made me feel SO MUCH BETTER. All my people showed up. Even a "family party" is big--20'ish plus. I still ordered a sweet cake from The Kake Lady (because, helloooooo, they're gorgeous and it's easy). We ordered pizza. We had pretzels and chips and my mom made a salad. We played Kidz Bop from spotify and sat around outside enjoying an unusually cool July evening. We celebrated Lucy. She felt special. The way she looked around as everyone sang Happy Birthday to her was truly the sweetest thing ever. Just taking all the love in.

Turns out that a few pretty plates from Target, Dollar store balloons, flowers in a mason jar, and a fancy cake can make a non-party turn into a special, low-key birthday to remember after all.


she had been practicing holding up 2 fingers all day--it's a tough one! she finally got it :)



cousins also can make any party better :) 


Pretty sure we'll be following suit with future 'parties'. Because this was just right.

15 comments:

  1. Now I don't wanna have a big party next weekend! WAHHHHHHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! See what you did there? That IS my idea of a big fancy party. :D 20+ family and I can see why anything more organized might give you the chills. :) Happy Birthday Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the 1st birthday, we only done family parties as well (it's about 20 of us too!) I love it, and the girls don't really know anything different. I think it's much more intimate and special! I also have it "joint" since my girls have birthdays just 2 weeks away from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how I do ALL my parties! Burgers, beer, cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are keeping my daughter's 3 year old an un-party, just like her 2 year old.... her 1 year old party was so big and stressful that I didn't even enjoy the milestone.

    I still think yours is fancy because you have matching tablecloths!!! :) It looks like it was a beautiful celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I agree with Rebecca above!! This is totally a party! :) I have been thinking the same thing for my son Ben...he turns 2 in September and I just don't have the energy to plan a big 'thing' for him, and I'm always worried no one will show up. I think we will go casual bbq route with a cake! Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a perfect party for Lucy!
    Sometimes more simple is better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is how we celebrated our youngest son's birthday in June. He turned 2 as well. Parties like that are so much easier. I felt guilty at first, but then we decided to do the same for our oldest who turned 4 in July. The boys had fun and that's what mattered to me. They don't pay attention to all those details anyway. A cake, some balloons, and family & friends. That's all it takes. What they enjoy the most is being the center of attention for their special day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Lucy! This is beautiful and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your little family and your take on life. Lucy's party looked perfect :) Well done, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did this for my son's 5th birthday this year. Family came over, we ordered pizza, and I made cupcakes. He had a blast and didn't even realize he was 'missing' anything. He has sensory processing disorder and parties actually overwhelm him, and he usually ends up getting in trouble. That doesn't seem fair, right? We force him out of his comfort zone on his birthday and then he gets his trouble? Point being - it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! Sometimes low key is the best - with family all around and cake, that's how I celebrated my birthdays growing up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cake is amazing! I find that the last-minute(ish), lower key parties are the best. SO much less stress for everyone! And THAT is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks just perfect! We've been talking about the 2nd birthday party for our daughter (not until January!) and this is right up our alley. We were thinking a family brunch and a pile of donuts with a "2" candle on top :) Her first birthday was so stressful for me and the huge, crazy parties are not my style anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just happened upon your blog at random today. I love this post. This is how I roll too. And just from what I have read so far, I get the vibe that you aren't into overdoing life just to be able to post a picture of it on Facebook. I like that. :)
    Anyway, I think your little lady's party looked special and wonderful, especially to a 2 year-old! Little kids don't care about expensive invites. They want cake and presents and family. Special moments are about the people you are sharing them with - not about how much money was spent. Your kids are blessed to have parents that get that.

    Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete