Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

/ / s e v e n \ \


Seven years of being married today. 

In the middle of the night last night I elbow him in the side so he knows that Emeline is up getting sick. Oh, and wipe the vomit from her hair, k, thanks, baby. By the way I've been up 5x already, it's your turn.

I remember it's our anniversary. After a little middle-of-the-night quarrel due to sick-kid-heightened frustrations, I mutter, Oh, and happy anniversary. I have a little attitude in my voice.

This morning we're both exhausted. Hours of interrupted sleep. Tossing puke-laundry down the steps in the middle of the night, changing pj's multiple times, making floor-beds and putting the humidifier in strategic locations, trying to convince a 4 year old that she should sleep and not play the iPad--all of that can make you a wee bit sleepy.

As he heads out of the bedroom to leave for the morning he kisses my face and tells me Happy Anniversary. I was too incoherent to even say it back. 

This is life. Anniversary dates get canceled when unpredictable happens. The kid's you made together? Well, they dictate your life. You might mutter mean things in the middle of the night when you're sleep deprived. You don't hold any of it against each other because after 7 years one thing is clear---You're still on the same team. 

Every single day, working towards the same goal.

At 9:13am the doorbell rings--it's a bouquet of beautiful deep pink and orange flowers. I text him to tell him thank you and that it reminds me of our wedding colors. He replies, "yep, that's why I picked it :)" 

Somehow I love him even more.



14 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! And I love your take on this. It isn't always easy, but my goodness I sure is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You don't hold any of it against each other because after 7 years one thing is clear---You're still on the same team." This is such a great reminder! Thanks for sharing and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Made me tear up. Happy Anniversary to y'all. You two are just the cutest...I love watching you love each other. Hope the next 70 are full of joy and happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Happy anniversary to you two and I hope that Eme feels better ASAP...and that Lucy doesn't catch it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, so sweet. Happy Anniversary to you both! I hope Patrick and I are as happy as you after 7 years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said and oh, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, super sweet! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Happy Anniversary! At least you don't hold the meanies against each other (I tend too, something for me to work on LOL) Hope Emmaline is feeling better BTW and perhaps your date will be even better on a different day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary. Stinks that you have a sick kiddo, but glad you still have a sweet husband!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it -- minus the puking. :-) Happy 7 years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary!!! Your story is so sweet... and that pic too....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! And happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just outlined what true love is all about. Happy belated Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete