Pages

Monday, November 30, 2015

An unconventional Thanksgiving

I hate regrets. One of the things Declan and I swore to each other when we moved to the other side of the country was to make sure we explored it. Kids in tow, all the madness that comes along with that, the details, the chaos, the fun---we were going to adventure the heck out of this new home.

This year we really had no Thanksgiving plans so it seemed like the perfect time to do more of that. We are headed back to Pennsylvania for Christmas, so Thanksgiving was definitely not on the table, too. We did do an early dinner on Saturday where I prepped an entire meal myself (and it didn't totally suck!) to celebrate with my sweet brother and his wife. But we had the time, the kids had off school, and so we figured we'd do a coastal drive up to San Francisco making some fun stops along the way.

When it came to planning, all it really took was one long morning of coffee & cinnamon buns at the kitchen table with Declan, a little bit of bickering, and some hotel plotting. The rest was all pretty go-with-the-flow from there. 

Our stops were: Malibu, Santa Barbara, Solvang, San Simeon (southern point of Big Sur), Big Sur, and two days in San Francisco. We had planned to go to Monterey, too--but we were just running out of time and energy. 

Instead of boring details, I'll just say this. I decided to do some choppy video footage along the way because when I mash up these videos it seems like my kids cling to them, love them, feel super connected to our trips even more. I know they're not professional, I know they're wonky, and it's ok. I like having the memories in more than just photos, because video just feels more real, even little tiny clips all hodge-podged together. 

Was our trip perfect? HA HA, no. The kids fought here and there, they were too loud in the hotels, some restaurant stops had my eyes bulging out of my head due to their behavior--but overall? It was truly an adventure, and one I'm so glad we experienced together.

Coastal California from Katie Balla on Vimeo.

---

Hope you had a happy, happy Thanksgiving weekend. 

12 comments:

  1. Such an awesome video! Great way to preserve memories !

    ReplyDelete
  2. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Love! Perfectly preserves the feelings and memories of your trips, these home videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your little videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you use to make these videos? Just iPhone videos that you edit together? Do you do it with iMovie? I'd love to have these beautiful keepsakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find iPhone quality not as great....so I use my canon 7d to take the footage and then edit together with iMovie :)

      Delete
  5. How'd you like Solvang? I grew up going there with my parents, the place is just so GREEN, and so pretty! Love the video, and it's made perfectly for who it matters to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loved it! So perfectly adorable. We found Fall there and that was quite lovely :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are super talented. Superb!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wonderful. California is amazing and these memories even more so. Glad you had such a good holiday weekend together! :)

    ReplyDelete