Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

When it comes to your home....

I'm a big fan of comfort when it comes to my home. Light, bright and airy seems to be what makes my eyes happy. It tends to feel clean to me, and I like that. I like the more neutral kind of colors---give me all the grays, whites, light blues, and textures like baskets and burlap.

See, the thing is that I don't actually care what's trendy or 'right' when it comes to design or setting up a home, but I do care about how it makes me feel. This morning an article a friend shared popped up in my feed about trends that were SO 2015 when it came to home decorating. I read it, knowing full well some of the things that I like would be on there, and they were. At first I felt a little offended--like, dude, how dare you be judgy about people's personal spaces? But then I remembered it's just the internet and the bottom line is this: whatever brings you comfort and happiness is how you should decorate. If you have to dwell there every single day, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks?

Over the last few years I've honed in on our family style, so with each move, I open boxes, and I genuinely am happy to see 95% of the decor that comes out. I don't claim to know what I'm doing at all when it comes to decorating, I have talented friends who rock that out--but I do know how to set up a home the way that makes life comfortable and functional for us.

We tend to settle really fast when we move, mainly because we need things to feel normal and home-like and living in transition bugs us both. Two weeks in and it's feeling like the cozy space that works for us








"It's not the home I love, but the life that is lived there".

---

10 comments:

  1. I loooove your home style! And you're SO right, who cares about trends? You're the one who's gotta look at it everyday so do what makes your heart happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! Love the little sneak peek of baby girls room! Your places is seriously my decorating goals! Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, of course, your home should make you happy! i love seeing the things that make me smile all over the house, I love bursts of color and eclectic items and I don't give a fig what anyone else thinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! The twinkle lights in the girls room!!!! I love love love :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love your posting again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your style -- especially the girls' room. Do you mind sharing where you got the table in your girls room? I would love that whole set up for my littlest girls. Thanks! Don't change a thing, it's lovely. Who redecorates every year anyway? 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an old pottery barn kids piece that went with a nursery set. :)

      Delete
  7. Oooo, so pretty! I'm glad you guys are loving California. I haven't blogged in a while. Last time I read you announced you were officially moving there.

    ReplyDelete